Hi Geoff, I hope I can help you with this. If you are using an accessory device (DVD, DVR) check cables to see that they are secure and if device has audio out option that it is set correctly. Also check to see that Video and Audio cables are connected to matching inputs on your set.
If you are using DVI to HDMI you will need to use a separate digital audio cable. DVI cables do not carry audio signal. After attaching the audio cable if you still do not hear sound you may need to set Digital Audio In. To do so:
- Press Menu Button on remote.
- Press the cursor ring down to highlight SETUP.
- Press the cursor ring left to enter SETUP menu.
- Press the cursor ring down to highlight SOURCE.
- Press the cursor ring left to enter SOURCE menu.
- Press the cursor ring down to highlight DIGITAL AUDIO IN.
- Press the cursor ring down to select the source you want to associate Digital Audio with. HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 in this case. You might need a software update also.
The latest software solves the issues below:
How to check the current software version on my TV set?
- TV (Plasma 42" and 50") will not turn ON/shut off itself and Red LED blinks 4- times. Recover if main switch on/off.
- 37" LCD full white screen appear when upgrade software.
- Some channels not available after turn ON.
- Delta volume changes, not remembered.
- Preferred channel changes, not remembered.
- Green or yellow static (sometime snowy) on HDMI picture.
- Picture and sound loss for 5 to 10 sec (green LED is still ON) and back to normal.
- Audio loss in all inputs and can be recovered when main switch ON and OFF.
- TV set turn ON by itself/ green LED light up and goes off when set is ON.
- Intermittent audio loss in NTSC RF channel.
- Crack sound with high input signal.
- Include the possibility to download the rating table (RRT5 capability) for digital programs.
- No video/ no picture with sound.
- Intermittent On-Screen Menu pop up by itself and can be removed by pressing the 'MENU' button.
- Channel information display too long.
- Improvement on scramble channel.
Where can I find the latest software for my TV set?
- Press 'MENU' button on remote control to display the on-screen menu.
- Select TV MENU and press the cursor right.
- Select INSTALLATION and press the cursor right.
- Select SOFTWARE UPGRADE and press cursor right.
- Select CURRENT SOFTWARE INFO to display the current software version on your TV set.
- If the TV software version is lower than the version posted on the website means your TV set needs to be upgraded.
- Follow the instruction in the user manual or Firmware Upgrade Readme file on how to upgrade your software.
The Firmware Upgrade Software and Readme File documents can be found on the Philips support website. Refer to the SOFTWARE section.