I periodically get an issue that I can't log into my PS3 PSN account. It provides back an error code like 80710092.
I noticed this happens whenever hacker groups seem to be going after Sony with Denial of Service (DOS) attack.
You go to Sony's web site and it says all there services are up.
So what the heck?
The advice provided is to reboot your modem ... wait 3 minutes ... for me this did not help
Here is my theory and my fix ... hopefully it helps you
When Sony is getting attacked it has to protect itself to keep its services up so it has software at its firewall to try to automatically detect hackers and block them from getting in. Unfortunately, this software is not fool proof. Sometimes legitimate customers are trying to get in with repetitive retries and they are flagging us as hackers in the DOS account. Bottom line is that our IP addresses are all blocked in their firewall so that they can keep their service up.
So net result, you cant get in in but many of your friends still can.
Solution: Get a new IP address. Unfortunately, the technique for achieving this varies by internet service provider and technology.
(1) Go to this site to determine your real IP address that is being blocked.
(2) You need to get this changed.
- Call your Internet service provider to get them to reset
- Unplug your modem for an period of time (might be 3 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes ... this varies by service provider)
- Log into your modem and release your IP address and renew it (you need to be a bit technical for this one and have the admin password to your modem)
(4) Once completed, you can go to this site to make sure that the address is changed.
If different you should be good to go.