Question about Extended Systems Printer Sharing Sharespool Print Server
I've been unsuccessful in trying to share an HP 5440 printer between a Vista (SP1) Home Premium computer and XP Media Center computer.
The printer is hooked up to the XP computer via USB and both computers are "wired" to the D-Link Gaming Router and computers are separated in the house (upstairs/downstairs).
Can someone please assist. Thanks..
(01) Is the Vista computer able to access ANY shared resources at all on the XP machine?
(02) Are you running any firewall software (other than the firewall built into the operating system) on either computer?
(03) If you are, please, let us know which firewall software it is and, for now, please, disable it.
(04) Do both these computers have Internet access? (I'm assuming they do but I do need to ask.)
(05) Is the printer currently ONLINE and working properly w/ the XP machine?
IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO ALREADY, PLEASE, DO THE FOLLOWING:
(06) Assign *both* computers to the same network WORKGROUP.
(07) Ensure that file and print sharing are enabled on the XP machine. If you'd like, do so on the Vista system, too.
(A) How to on Windows XP
(B) How to on Windows Vista
(08) "Share" the printer on the XP machine (in printer properties).
(09) Can each computer now see itself AND the other computer on the network?
(10) Have you added your user name and password that you're using on the Vista system to the users list on the XP system?
(11) If you haven't done so already, please, do this. The user name should have a password associated w/ it. So, if you aren't using a password on your Vista system profile, assign one then add that user's credentials to the users list on the XP system.
Please, post back here w/ what you've tried and the results, your observations and any other comments or questions.
Posted on Apr 15, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 16, 2012 | HP LaserJet 1020 Printer
on Jul 14, 2010 | Computers & Internet
on May 24, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Mar 07, 2011 | Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT...
Jan 26, 2010 | HP OfficeJet K80 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Sep 11, 2009 | Lexmark P6250 All-In-One InkJet Photo...
Aug 21, 2009 | HP OfficeJet Pro K8600 Printer
Jun 10, 2009 | Toshiba Office Equipment & Supplies
Jan 25, 2008 | HP LaserJet 3100 All-In-One Printer
467 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: