Question about GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Thanks for your help! First the switch for these lights failed, and I just kept the lights on all the time. Then I was changing a bulb, and I didn't think to cut power at breaker. The light bulb flashed in my hand and burned out the whole lighting system. The other functions of the machine all work normally. I have opened the housing to look for burnt fuses/wires and found nothing. Thanks again for advice!!
This looks like a new entry as opposed to a reply, so I don;t know what advice you got or from whom.
But based on your problem, I'd say I know your problem.
We see (and repair) this a lot. The problem is on the control panel, which we regularly repair nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid.
This light failure often occurs when a bulb goes out and the filament shorts, or when the bulbs are removed or installed without first unplugging the oven from the power line. Either can cause such a failure on the controller.
This can often also affect the exhaust fan operation, too. The lights and fan can be inoperable or stuck on too.
Details of our service and critical safety information and disassembly information is at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
William E. Miller, AS-EET
Posted on Apr 18, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 15, 2014 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...
Feb 10, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jan 13, 2011 | Electrolux ICON Built-In Microwave Oven
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
Make sure the !!!!capacitor is discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 on high resistance range for short circuit, the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
Jan 01, 2011 | GE Hotpoint Over-the-Range Microwave
Dec 28, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Sep 30, 2010 | Maytag Appliances Over-the-Range Microwave...
Jun 24, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Feb 22, 2010 | GE JVM1540DM Microwave Oven
Nov 28, 2008 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Apr 26, 2007 | Sharp R-1492 Microwave Oven
44 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!