Question about MP3 & Digital Media Players
If the error message you are seeing reads as "QuickTime failed to initialize. Error # - 2096" you may wish to turn off Compatibility Mode for QuickTime, as doing so may resolve this problem.
You should be able to disable Compatibility Mode by doing the following:
1) Right-click on the QuickTime Player program and choose the "Properties" option from the menu that appears. Normally the application is kept in the C:\Program Files\QuickTime directory, but may differ if you chose to have the program installed onto another hard drive or in another directory.
2) Once in the "Properties" menu, click on the "Compatibility" tab.
3) Uncheck the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode" if it is currently selected.
4) Click on the "Apply" button.
If QuickTime was not initially in Compatibility Mode, and you still receive an error message prompting you that iTunes requires Windows 2000 or later (or prompts you to make sure that compatibility mode is disabled in iTunes.exe), you may wish to try the following instead:
1) Shut down iTunes.
2) Click on the "Start" menu, then on "My Computer." You can generally also double-click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop as an alternative.
3) Once in "My Computer," open the drive where Windows XP is installed. Typically this is the C:\ drive, but please remember that your configuration may slightly differ if you have multiple hard drives.
4) Open the "Program Files" folder.
5) Open the "iTunes" program folder.
6) Next, right-click on the iTunes program - this may be listed as either iTunes or iTunes.exe. Once you have done so, choose "Properties" from the menu that appears.
7) Click on the "Compatibility" tab, and uncheck the option to run in Compatibility Mode if it is selected.
8) Click "OK" to accept the new settings.
One of these two solutions should hopefully resolve the problem, but I would strongly suggest visting Apple's support homepage for more information if you are unsure of how to proceed.
Hope this helps you out.
Go Ahead. Use Us.
Posted on Jun 03, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 02, 2011 | Apple iPod nano
Mar 12, 2011 | Apple iPod touch
May 22, 2009 | Apple iPod MA446LL/A MP3 Player
Apr 26, 2009 | Apple iPod touch
Apr 23, 2009 | Apple iPod nano
Apr 06, 2009 | Apple iPod nano
Nov 27, 2008 | Apple iPod nano
Jul 15, 2008 | Apple iPod classic MP3 Player
Feb 03, 2008 | Apple iPod mini M9160LL/A MP3 Player
Dec 26, 2007 | Apple iPod shuffle Second Gen. Silver (1...
253 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!