Question about E-Machines eMachines Desktop PC
I have a Gateway GT4022 desktop PC running WinXP Media Center, sp2. The dual layer DVD-/+RW burner is having problems burning DVDs. The burner can read DVDs and CDs. But it cannot copy files to either DVD-RW or CD-RW disks, especially when I try to drag and drop them to these disks.
-When I try to drag and drop a file to a DVD-RW disk, with the "Recording" tab ON in the Properties panel for the DVD drive, I get the error message: "Windows does not support this CD-RW format. To use this disk, choose the task 'Erase this CD-RW' which will format this disk so that Windows can use it."
-When I try to drag and drop a file to a DVD-RW or CD-RW disk, with the "Recording" tab OFF in the Properties panel for the DVD drive, I get the error message: "Cannot copy file. Files on this CD are read only. You cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive."
I installed a new Sony IDE DVD burner on this PC, but I still have the same problems. And I tried different brands of DVD/CD disks like Memorex and Imation to no avail.
I am using Nero 7 Essentials and Ashampoo burning software. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling these software programs also to no avail.
1. Since the DVD burner can read (but not write DVDs), does this suggest that the problem is a hardware or software problem?
2. Since I have tried different DVD burners on this computer, could there be a problem with the IDE Cable? How would I test this?
3. Could there be a software problem involved?
4. And what I can do to fix my problem in general?
dvd recoder want let me divide movie for too disks
First of all you should have the recording tab ON. Have you tried burning using Nero instead of dragging and dropping? This may solve the problem.
However, if you prefer to drag and drop, try setting the write speed to a slower setting, even if the dvd burner has faster write capabilities.
1. I do not think it is a hardware issue.
2. You can try replacing the IDE cable, but if you can read the contents of the disk it does not suggest a communication issue between the drive and mobo.
3. I do not think that the burning software is to blame, when you drag and drop you are actually using a windows based burning software that is installed with the operating system.
4. set up your files to burn through nero, let the software do the work.
I had the same issue with my dvd burner, although slightly different error messages, solved it by using nero instead.
Posted on Apr 12, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 04, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Jun 26, 2009 | Sony DW-G120A DVD RW Dual Layer Burner
Mar 29, 2009 | Samsung SH-S182D DVD RW Dual Layer Burner
Aug 28, 2009 | Sony DRX-810UL DVD RW Dual Layer Burner
Jan 05, 2008 | Sony DRU-820A DVD RW Dual Layer Burner
Nov 09, 2007 | Sony DW-G120A DVD RW Dual Layer Burner
370 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!