Question about Computers & Internet
This laptop powers up with the Dell logo screen.At the bottom of the screen it says press f2 for the system setup screen, then it immediately goes to a blank screen with a curser blinking. that is all that it will do. Please help.
You are getting this screen because your computer cannot boot (start) normally. This is frequently caused by issues on your computer's hard disk drive (HDD). Often, corruption of something called the MBR or "master boot record". The MBR tells the computer where to find all the information and files it needs in order to load your operating system, etc. Right now, it is effectively "lost".
*** CAUTION!!!! ****
Please, make sure you do not, during the course of trouble-shooting this problem, choose to FORMAT or ERASE or RESTORE TO FACTORY (your hard disk). This will delete or erase all of your data. W/out special data recovery methods and software, your data will be irretrievable.
If the issue is a corrupted MBR (a common problem, btw (by the way)), then there are a no. of ways to restore it.
(01) Is any system restore software (e.g. Roxio GoBack) installed on this computer?
(02) W/ respect to software utilities (software for maintenance of your computer rather than "productivity" software like Word or Excel or games or entertainment software), have any been installed since the computer purchase?
(03) If YES, please, tell us which ones were installed (we're looking for any 3rd party (non-Dell or Microsoft) utilities that would alter your MBR.
(04) What is the service tab number of your laptop? (this will enable us to gather information from the manufacturer specific to your laptop computer). You can find the service tag number on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop.
(05) Dell's general information, downloads, manuals, etc. for this computer model can be found HERE.
(06) You can find out if your laptop is still in warranty by entering its service tag number HERE.
(07) If it is still in warranty, you can use Dell's online chat support found HERE. There's a phone no. for fee-based support at this link, too. But if your computer isn't in warranty, try us 1st. We might be able to save you some $.
(08) THESE are the options in System Setup (what you will see if you strike F2 as prompted). I was hoping to see diagnostics here but there don't appear to be any.
(09) Would you be comfortable w/ making diagnostic boot discs if we gave you instructions or links to instructions for doing so? Don't worry if that is not the case. You're not alone. In that event, you will be best taking your computer to an **Authorized** Dell service center or shop for diagnosis and repair. Try to find one that will apply the diagnostic fee to the repair fee. Make sure they will preserve your data for you, too. (address that issue **specifically** w/ them and get it in writing.
If you, however, up to the task, we'll be happy to step you through the process of diagnosing this issue w/ you. It will take some time though. Lots of posts back in forth so you'll need to keep a lot of patience in your pockets.
** Please, post back here w/ answers to
** these questions and the results of what
** you've tried so far (if applicable). We
** will need to communicate back and forth
** here as part of the trouble-shooting pro-
** cess. We WILL continue to work w/ you
** until your problem is resolved or diag-
** Please, don't rate the experts' solutions
** until that time. Once ratings are assigned,
** the problem will be closed and we'll no
** longer be able to assist you.
Posted on Apr 11, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 27, 2015 | Computers & Internet
Jan 03, 2015 | Computers & Internet
Oct 03, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jun 28, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jun 25, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jun 10, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jun 06, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jun 01, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jul 27, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Oct 04, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Mar 27, 2017 | Google Computers & Internet
159 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!