I am having difficulties installing Fedora 8. I get Uncompressing Linux...Ok, booting the Kernel. Then I get I/O error on devie sr0, logical block 1149232. The logical blocks progress with the same error. Then I get Warning: Cannot find root file system! Any suggestions. This is my first attempt to come on board with Linux, I wiped out a Windows 2003 server and would love to complete tis install. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
WARNING: I will not be responsible for any data loss that occurs. It is recommended to backup your hard disk to external media before commencing any of these operations.
1. Download and burn the Fedora LiveCD. It is recommended that you use the latest version, Fedora 14, instead of 7, but you can use Version 7 anyways.
2. Boot up with the Fedora LiveCD. Select Install.
3. Follow the instructions displayed onscreen. When you reach the partitioning screen, you will need to resize your Windows partition. Resize it to a reasonable size (1024MB =1GB). Leave at least 5GB for Fedora to install.
4. After resizing, select the "Use Free Disk Space" option, and continue installing.
5. Your system will be installed with Fedora and the GRUB bootloader. The GRUB bootloader will allow you to boot into both Windows and Fedora.
I hope this post helps you. I appreciate your vote very much!
Yes I give u one method to solve it.u know y this prb ur system idle process is on high level u feel ur fedora's fresh copy but actually thts not but its my openion try it again with carefully u missed something on installing but its very several thts y its shown u fresh window and success installation
Try to get the Linux OS called "Fedora 8". It has all the Samba features. And Fedora 8 is a Linux Kernel ( Red Hat ) server Operating System, You can do many things with it. But you will internet to download more stuffs in fedora 8.
i think the cd from which you are installing might have got scratched so the cdrom couldnt read some files which are needed for installation ... so i suggest you to try changing cd.... there is no problem with installing in laptops we can install linux in any laptops...... i suggest you to install fedora core instead of redhat... fedora core has good functionality and it has inbuilt firewall security also for internet and it has got good options ... so try installing fedora core 5,6, or 7 .. if you dont have means you can download from net as linux is open source to all any1 can download from net ... there are many other linux available like ubuntu,suse, mandrake etc.... suse linux is also very good it is the very user friendly linux ... there other linux which can be run by cd only which doesnt need of installing it just like knoppix live cd etc.... be care ful while partitioning if you make mistake you will lose all datas ....