How to upgrade the firmware on a BEFSR41
Firmware upgrades may erase all previous settings to your router's configuration. Before upgrading your firmware, make sure to record your settings.
1. Unplug and disconnect all computers from the router except for one. This computer must be plugged into the router directly. There can be no other network activity on the router during the upgrade, so be sure to power off all other computers.
2. Go to http://www.linksys.com/download
3. Select the model number of the Linksys router you have (BEFSR41) as firmware upgrades vary by model
and version. You can find your router version underneath your router after the model number. For example, ?BEFSR41 Ver. 3?.
4. Click the Downloads for this Product button.
5. Once you arrive on the download page, click the Firmware button.
6. After the firmware page opens, click the link that says ?Click here to download the latest firmware...? and download the firmware file to your computer.
7. Once you download the firmware Zip file, unzip it. If you do not have an unzipping program, go to http://www.winzip.com and download WinZip, which will allow you to unzip the file.
8. After unzipping the firmware files, one of them will be called TFTP.EXE. Double click on it.
9. When the ?Upgrade Firmware? window opens, you will have three prompts. The ?Server? field is for the IP address of your router; by default this would be 192.168.1.1.
10. Enter the routers password into the ?Password? field; by default the password is admin.
11. Browse for the file in the Firmware Upgrade utility program by clicking on the button next to file with
the '?' symbol on it. Look for the file named 'code.bin' in the folder where the firmware files were extracted to.
12. Highlight the code.bin file and click on the Open button to direct the TFTP loader program to put that file into the "File" box.
13. The full path should be displayed [example: c:\linksys\code.bin].
14. Click on the Upgrade button to begin the upgrade process.
15. The upgrade should take about 1 minute, and you will be prompted after the upgrade is complete and successful.
If you are still having troubles, contact Linksys Technical Support.
Feb 16, 2006 |
Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router