Question about Video Game Consoles & Games
Posted by Anonymous on
What you got is what is know as yellow lite of death --YLOD
this is the site i got the info from...
and you are not the only one to experience this. more and more ps3 owners are getting hit with this problem. your best bet will be to send it off to sony if its under warrenty for they'll fix it for free. but be cautious of this for they may even replace your system and you may not get your original system back. if its not under warrenty you'll get hit with an $150 charge. you can check youtube for videos on how to open up/fix your ps3. look for videos "YLOD FIXES" i get people telling me that their system only works for few days to few month so i have to assume that the fix is not a permanent. last i checked i think sony only cover your system for 30 days if they fix it. there are also guides you can buy.
The YLOD is a major hardware failure for the PlayStation 3. The specific cause is somewhat known, but Sony has not commented about this failure whatsoever. Some theories for the cause include:
overheating (accelerated by dust build-up), blu-ray drive failure, bad power supply, and/or a hard drive critical error.
According to an eBay store that repairs YLOD PS3's, the hardware failure is caused by either/or of two things:
1. Hardware malfunction on the motherboard due to heating/cooling (solder physically cracking/breaking) which can be fixed by "reflowing", which is a fancy way of using a machine that has a super controlled (+ or - .5 degrees) hot air nozzle to re-melt the solder on the base of the defective chip to re-attach it.
2. The power supply has the failure in one of its capacitors or diodes. This can also be fixed by "reflowing" but it is harder to diagnose due to the need to chase down which one it is.
**According to this eBay store, this scenario is a much more difficult way to repair PS3's with the YLOD. They state they can only repair 8 out of 10 PS3's with the YLOD**
You know you have received the YLOD when the following occurs:
* You power on the console.
* The console starts up normally for about 2-3 seconds,
* The console beeps 3 times while flashing a faint yellow light,
* The console continues to flash a red light
Posted on Jun 03, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 23, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Aug 17, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Feb 21, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Feb 16, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Dec 27, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Dec 15, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Nov 23, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jul 25, 2008 | Video Game Consoles & Games
131 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!