Question about Garden

1 Answer

I own a Sears Craftsnan Bench Grinder which has a (faulty) Swann "on/off" switch. The actual touching part is plastic (red) and lights up. It sort of toggles from position to position (on or off). It has 3 bayonet type blades. The markings on the switch are following: 15 amp 1/2 hp 125 volt ac t85c series 43 Singapore black in color Will you be able to supply its replacement ? Thany-You

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 2,841 Answers

Of course you can get a replacement on/off switch at Sears. First get the model # off the bench grinder and then go to the sears parts website. Or you can call 1-800-469-4663. If you have no luck there then try this website. This will tell you who made the grinder and you may find their website. You may also find a replacement that will work at an electronics store like Radio Shack. As a last resort you can use a 120 volt single pole 15 amp light switch just like is in your home. You have 3 lugs on the existing switch. They are power in, power out, and ground. The green wire is the ground. If no green wire then use a multimeter to find out which wire is the ground. Set the multimeter to ohms and then put black probe on wire you suspect is ground and other probe on grinder chassis. The meter will read when you find the ground wire and will not read on the other 2. Simply mount the switch in the cavity connect the ground wire to ground connection on the switch and the other 2 wires to either of the 2 copper and silver screws. Wrap electrical tape around the switch terminals to make sure the terminals do not contact the grinder. Put a plastic switch cover on it and it will work. I have done this very same thing on a bench grinder I have where they wanted $40 for a replacement switch. The household single pole light switch with cover cost me $1.25. Works perfectly. And if you buy a lighted switch you will still have your light. These bench grinders are, for the most part, Made In China and replacement parts are very expensive. Sometimes just as cheap to buy a new grinder. But in this case with what you need, you can use a simple household on/off light switch as a last resort.

Posted on Jun 01, 2010

  • NOT ME Jun 26, 2010

    I provided you with almost every option there is to replace this switch,, yet you do not even give me a rating.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Looking to replace obsolete switch on Craftsman 1/2 hp bench grinder. Sears lists part as 4984992

This switch is a very close fit, and it is rated for 20A 120VAC.
2LNA7 $11.09 / each

I've used it on that vintage Craftsman bench grinder.

Dec 12, 2015 | Craftsman Grinders

1 Answer

Were can I get a on off switch for sears grinder mod 397 19581

Grainger 2LNA7 $11.09 / each
20 A/120 VAC

I have used this switch on that model od Craftsman grinder - 397.19581.

It is the closest fit, but not an OEM look. It is a red rocker with black base.

Oct 08, 2014 | Grinders

1 Answer

Looking for a on/off switch for a craftsman 8" bench grinder

Sears Craftsman is usually easy as Sears Parts Direct has diagrams and part numbers.
However your switch number 31919063033 is no longer available. I would suggest checking out online places like Digikey or Newark for a switch that will work for you. As long as the Voltage, amperage and number of poles and will fit in the space provided you should be OK.
Link to Sears Parts Direct.
Searching Model For Search Your Way 31919063 2
Link to Newark
Switches Relays 60 674 Products Found
Link to Digikey
Electronic Components

Aug 19, 2014 | Craftsman Grinders

1 Answer

I have a Buffalo B-10CB(CH) bench grinder and the on/off switch has broken, it's a push/pull type. What can I replace it with to make it work safely?

You could connect the wires of the switch together inside and bypass the switch. Then I would connect in the power cable a switch rated for 1 hp. You can use surface mount electrical box, with two cable connectors (one for the cable going into the grinder, the other for the cable going to the male cord end of the cable. Install a 120 volt switch inside the box (similar to the light switch in the wall). Make sure that the switch is rated for 1 hp. I would install the switch under the bench, under the grinder.


Feb 28, 2011 | Baldor 1022w 10" Bench Grinder, 1 Hp,...

1 Answer

Smoke comes from around the switch when turned on & is slow to turn initially. mine is a fixed speed

If it is under warranty, take it back. If not then it is a simple matter of replacing the switch. Take off the cover and pull out the switch. Mark each wire as you take it off. Take the switch with you to the store. First try a hardware store, then an auto parts store. If they don't have it try Sears. They will probably be able order it. Make sure you have the model number of your grinder. It is on a data plate somewhere on the grinder. If Sears can't get it, try a wholesale electrical parts house.

Nov 19, 2010 | Orion Craftsman Professional 8 in. Bench...

1 Answer

Im looking for a grinder to sharpen shears, im a barber

You need a small variable speed grinder that has a fine grit stone on it. A regular bench grinder will ruin a pair of shears in short time. Look for one at Sears and explain your needs. Good luck!

Nov 06, 2010 | Sears Grinders

2 Answers

Model 397.19471 need switch but can not find. please help? 8 inch bench grinder

Call the Sears Craftsman help line they will have the parts you need

Apr 02, 2010 | Craftsman 10" Bench Grinder

1 Answer

I need a replacement switch for a craftsman 1/2 HP bench grinder model#397.19441. I have no owners manual or parts list. This grinder is several years old.

this switch is no longer available from Sears, so I suggest making a wiring drawing and taking the switch to a local electrical supply house and try matching it up with a replacement. It seems to be a simple on/off type switch and I would think that you should have no problem. Let me know if you do and give me the information on the switch and I will try some other sites I know.

Dec 28, 2009 | Craftsman Grinders

Not finding what you are looking for?
Garden Logo

Related Topics:

111 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Garden Experts

Dennis Key
Dennis Key

Level 3 Expert

2478 Answers

john h

Level 3 Expert

12173 Answers


Level 3 Expert

76164 Answers

Are you a Garden Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides