Question about Televison & Video
We've had a Dynex 32", LCD TV for about 18 months. While viewing the TV we heard a loud bang and the TV screen went dark, no picture and no sound. We smelled a slight burning smell. I removed the large back cover plus one small one under that, to expose some circuit boards. I saw no evidence of anything having exploded or burned.
Assuming there are no other symptoms:
If this appears after extended operation - an hour or more - it may just be a build up of dust, dirt, and grime over the years. After understanding the safety info, some careful vacuuming inside may help. Just don't be tempted to turn any screws or adjustments!
Dust is attracted to the high voltage section in particular - even the front faceplate of the CRT collects a lot and should be wiped with a damp cloth from time to time.
If the symptoms develop quickly - in a few minutes or less, then there could still be a dust problem - a power resistor may be heating a wad of it but other possibilities need to be considered.
If not dust, then probably in the power supply but realize that TVs don't have a nice metal case labeled 'power supply'. It is just a bunch of stuff scattered around the main board. Without identifying the part that is heating, a diagnosis is tough especially if the set really does work fine otherwise. However, if a series regulator were faulty and putting out too much voltage, the set could appear to work properly but in fact have excessive power dissipation in certain components. If cleaning the dust does not solve the problem, you will probably need a schematic to identify the correct voltages.
Also, A common problem for these is bad capacitors in the power supply, Remove the back from your Tv and look at the power supply on the left hand side.
You will see roughly around 9 x capacitors that are bulged / domed shaped on top usually these are valued at 3300uf 10V any that have bulged or leaked a brown like substance should be changed.
This will cure the problem as they overheat being sat next to a heatsink that gets very hot!
Try and change them for the same 3300uf but a higher voltage.
Hope this helps
Posted on Jun 01, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 11, 2014 | Philips 32PF5531D 32 in. LCD Television
Jun 02, 2010 | Dynex 32 in. LCD Flat-Panel HDTV
Apr 26, 2010 | Toshiba 32HL66 32 in. LCD HDTV
Jul 09, 2009 | RCA 32F531T 32" TV
Mar 02, 2009 | Polaroid TLA-04011C 40 in. LCD TV
Jan 13, 2009 | Vizio GV46L 46 in. LCD Television
Jan 02, 2009 | Sony WEGA KE-32TS2 32 in. HD-Ready Plasma...
Dec 12, 2017 | Toshiba Televison & Video
360 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!