- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Whats happening is that your fan is overheating (usually due to a loss of lubrication in the bearings), and the motor's thermal cutoff is kicking in (due to overtemperature), and shutting down the motor. This thermal cutoff circuit is installed in consumer motors to prevent fires.
You have two solutions: (1) disassemble your nice 30" pedestal fan (I've done this a few times - any handy guy/gal can do it), and lubricate (with automotive bearing grease ($3 at any auto parts store), or 3-in-1 oil for those spots that won't take bearing grease) the bearings, and reassemble. Re-lubricate on a regular schedule to prevent recurrence. (2) buy a new one. Give your old fan to the kid on the block who thinks he/she can fix anything & tell him/her it just needs to be lubricated.