Question about Dell OptiPlex SX270 PC Desktop
My Dell SX260 uses a 40GB Hitachi Travelstar 40GNX series, which is ATA-5 based. It is failing, probably because I did not allow much vent space above the drive although I was careful to mount it per instructions with that side up. I have copied the drive to a 3.5" drive I had on hand. I am minimally familiar with notebook drives and with SX260 quirks, so have several questions.
 - I see many ATA-6 drives for sale, but few ATA-5. Is there any reason that I cannot use an ATA-6 drive? Any specific suggestions to look for or avoid?
 - Storage size is not too important. I'd probably get 60GB ATA-6 if that will work, prices for 40 and 60 being so close. I would like a better drive if possible, where better means, first, one with greater heat tolerance than the 40GNX 55degC spec. Any suggestions for 60degC and up?
 - Better would secondarily mean better performance. Are 7200RPM 2.5inch drives compatible? Other suggestions for better performance - but while maintaining good thermal tolerance.
 - The SX260 case offers easy access to the drive but doesn't look notably well designed for cooling. Any suggestions for modding it for cooling. The compartment seems about deep enough for a very thin HD fan...
 - I use the SX260 just for websurfing and email most of the time. Sometimes I think about dual booting to full Windows (XPPro) or to some stripped down O/S set up for rapid booting, and supporting just a notepad, email, and web browsing. Then I start to think that for safety I would still need a local firewall, antivirus, antispyware, moreantispyware, etc. - and I lose interest. Any thoughts?
Thanks so much.
I have replaced the standard hd in a couple sx260's .One with an 80gb ata-6 and one with a 60gb ata-100. You will have to install an operating system(I used xp) and all of the system drivers.
Posted on Jan 19, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 04, 2011 | Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 HTS541040G9SA00...
Mar 16, 2011 | Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 HTS541040G9AT00...
Feb 27, 2011 | Hitachi TravelStar DK23EA Series DK23EA-30...
Jan 07, 2011 | Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 HTS541040G9AT00...
Nov 11, 2010 | Hitachi Travelstar 5K100 HTS541080G9SA00...
Jul 17, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Jan 24, 2008 | IBM TravelStar 40GNX 40 GB Hard Drive
Sep 13, 2005 | Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC
293 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: