Question about Dell Inspiron 6400 Notebook
Ok ..it seams that your computer had recovered from a serious issue ..and now it is either into a safe mode...or something like that ...the devices needs drivers that's the reason that they do not work ..and the best way to do that is to use the recovery disk and reinstall it practically (or the recovery partition if it has one ..)
if not ..just go to bios (press F2 on start ) and choose the optimal factory defaults...and save the changes by pressing F10...restart and see what happens ..it will start to install all the devices that are not installed..if it asks for drivers insert the drivers Cd .or download them from here ..http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
before doing this ..and have them in the computer to run them when asked..
Like I said ..be sure that your computer do not runs in safe mode..cause in that mode the color is changed and the drivers are not activated...
if you suspect that (also the icons are larger ) try to do first a recovery by following this steps...and only if it do not work ..install it again normal way and the drivers to be sure ..
Here is the recovery procedure if it is still with the factory partition for restore..or use the recovery disks..
If your operating system is XP, CTRL and F11 key simultaneously when you see the dell logo after turning on the Laptop and follow the screen instructions.
* Power the computer on.
* When the Dell screen appears press and hold the CTRL and F11 key simultaneously on the keyboard, then release them both at the same time.
The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears.
* Click the Restore button or press the key to highlight Restore and press the key.
A caution message appears advising that all data will be lost.
* Click the Confirm button or press the key to highlight Confirm and press the key.
The Progress window appears. Once the process is begun, Dell PC Restore usually takes only 8 to 10 minutes to complete.
When the restore is complete, the message The system recovery process was successful appears.
* Click the Finish button or press the key to highlight Finish and press the key.
The computer will restart.
2. If your operating system is VISTA / Win 7, tap F8 key when you see the dell logo. It will take you to advanced boot menu options under which you will see Repair your Computer, Select that option and enter your password if it asked, then you will be seeing list of options like system restore, command promt, etc., In that the last option says Dell PC restore or some thing like that. Select that option and follow the screens .. Thats it.
* Start the computer.
* As the computer starts, press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
* Press the (Down Arrow) to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter.
* Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
* Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
* Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
* In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
* Click to select the check box for Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition.
* Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
* When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
3. If in both case, the Factory default didn't work, then your laptop's factory image defaults partition have vanished (i.e. Corrupted / Deleted). So you have to do Operating System re installation with the Operating System CD / DVD shipped along with laptop. Follow the below link to install windows XP Pro on your own.
either way you do it ...be careful that recovery will erase all data from the computer ..(at least the C partition) ...or ..if you choose just to restore defaults and reinstall drivers ..than be download them from where I linked you ..
Posted on May 31, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 16, 2011 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Nov 19, 2009 | Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook
Aug 04, 2009 | Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook
Apr 23, 2009 | Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook
Jan 09, 2009 | Dell Inspiron E1505 Notebook
33 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: