Today my father and I solved this problem permanently for about four dollars. Yes only $4!!! I priced out the total repair for a Kitchenaid repair guy with parts and labor to be at least $250 and that was just too much for a $1500 dishwasher. Here's how we did it and here's how kitchenaid should have done it in the first place...
After searching the internet and diagnosing the problem with my kitchenaid superba dishwasher, I also found that my nylon pulley spring system on one side had ruptured. Door made loud explosive sound one day when opening and then would just drop open real hard once unlatched after that day. I really didn't care too much about it until my three year old almost opened the door on my one year old's head. I took off the bottom panel and found a broken nylon string and a couple of white plastic pieces.
That lead me to this website.
So I looked into fixing this myself and got ready to order the part from herehttp://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1059756&PPStack=1
and found it would be about $25 with shipping and handling and would arrive in about a week. I figured that there has to be a better way than nylon string to absorb the transition from metal spring to metal door. This problem was bound to recur in a short period of time because nylon is not made to take that tensile force. We went to Lowe's, bought four feet of 1/16 inch galvanized woven steel cable (total cost of $1) and two sets of ferrule and stops ($3 for both).
Then we unscrewed the two side fasteners holding the dishwasher to the cabinets (We had already unscrewed the two screws and removed the base board). We placed masking tape on the floor to prevent the foot pads from scratching as we pulled out the dishwasher. With a little upward lift, my father was able to turn the foot pads and create more room and we then placed felt pads under them to padd additional protection from scratching.
Here is the broken nylon and its plastic pieces and the spring
close up of the poor construction that this heavy door relies on
We then measured out the distance from the end of the spring through the pulleys and to the hook on the door to be 17 inches, and thus, constructed a steel replica 16.5 inches to keep everything tight.
So, from then end of one loop to the end of the other loop measured 16.5 inches. We double crimped each end with the ferrules.
The other side was intact, but we just went ahead and removed it and replaced it with our new steel cable replicas. Here is the final insertion showing the steel cable going through the pulleys and hooking on the door.
The door works great. My wife can't believe it. Most of all, my children are safe from head injuries from the heavy door. This whole escapade took about 45 minutes to do and literally only cost $4, yes four dollars. I suggest two people to do the job as my father was helpful in holding the flashlight and making sure we had enough slack on the water lines when we pulled out and pushed the washer back in. I hope this helps anyone that googles 'kitchenaid superba door' or 'kitchenaid superba broken heavy door'. Eat your heart out kitchenaid, make the next line of washers with a steel cable instead of nylon.