Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
A few months back, I turned on the lights under the microwave and the bulbs flashed and burnt out. The next time I went to use the microwave, there is a hum, and the food appears to cook, but the "exhaust" is not working.
The fan under the microwave works, and I have not replaced the bulbs yet.
I want to avoid GE at all costs and am hoping there is an easy or at least less costly fix.
Thanks in advance!
First of all, unplug the oven when changing the bulbs, and use good quality bulbs form a home center, as opposed to dollar store or grocery store subs.
We see (and repair) this a lot. The problem is on the control panel, which we regularly repair nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid.
This light failure often occurs when a bulb goes out and the filament shorts, or when the bulbs are removed or installed without first unplugging the oven from the power line. Either can cause such a failure on the controller.
This can often also affect the exhaust fan operation, too. The lights and fan can be inoperable or stuck on too.
Details of our service and critical safety information and disassembly information is at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Apr 18, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 25, 2014 | GE Profile : Profile Spacemaker 1.8 Cu....
Jan 17, 2011 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Jun 19, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Nov 18, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Dec 23, 2007 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
146 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: