Question about Car Audio Receivers
Hi , Could you please help me with a diagram or descripton of how to replace the rope and mast on a VT commodore power aerial. Regards jamie
You access the ariel via the left hand wheel arch.
1. Remove left wheel mud guard. It is held in with a bunch of press studs which can be difficult to remove. I found pulling on the plastic mud guard whilst turning the screw helped.
2. unbolt the electric ariel assembly. There is an earth strap that needs to be unscrewed as well.
You should be able to get the ariel out far enough to work on it.
3. Remove chrome plated nut to top end of mast tube.
4. With great anger and force, remove the dead ariel and drive cable from the mast.
It's difficult to get the mast to work unless it's earthed properly.
5. Get you hand inside the wall and remove the ariel face plate. Swear if you have to.
6. Put the ariel mast assembly back into the wall and hook it all up minus the new ariel.
7. Switch your radio on, then put the new ariel into the mast. Gears facing the rear of the car. Switch the radio off, it should retract. If not you may need to push it in a little further.
8. Remove the ariel mast again and slip the chrome nut to top end of mast tube and tighten securely.
9. Ask the spouse to close up whilst you have a beer.
Posted on Jan 31, 2010
The following procedure is for replacing a damaged or faulty antenna mast and drive cable assembly.
1. Remove power antenna assembly as previously described in this Section.
2. Remove chrome plated nut from top end of mast tube.
3. Extend damaged antenna mast as far as possible by attaching battery negative via a jumper lead to antenna
mounting bracket and battery positive to both the antenna red and white wire terminals.
At end of mast travel, pull out mast and drive cable from antenna housing.
If mast is too badly damaged to extend, grip tip of mast with a pair of pliers and pull mast and drive cable assembly
up and out from antenna housing.
4. If necessary, remove contact spring (metal sleeve) from old mast and drive cable and install onto replacement
mast and drive cable.
5. Feed end of drive cable down mast tube of antenna housing with serrated side of drive cable facing toward the
centre of the housing. Continue to feed drive cable down until it engages with the drive mechanism.
It may be necessary to twist the drive cable clockwise and anti-clockwise slightly to enable end of cable to feed
through opening at base of mast tube before it engages the drive mechanism.
6. With the aid of an assistant to hold the antenna and mast assembly, connect antenna mounting bracket via a
jumper lead to battery negative.
7. Momentarily connect battery positive to the antenna red wire and drive mechanism should start to retract drive
cable into antenna housing.
8. With the drive cable engaged to drive mechanism, reconnect battery positive to antenna red wire and allow
drive mechanism to wind in drive cable and mast into mast tube and housing.
9. At this stage the mast might be fully retracted into the mast tube and housing. Reconnect both the red and
white wires to battery positive and allow the mast to extend fully until the motor stops.
Disconnect white wire from battery positive and allow mast to fully retract.
10. Reinstall chrome plated nut to top end of mast tube and tighten securely.
11. Reinstall power antenna assembly as previously described in this Section. Check antenna mast operation
Posted on Aug 21, 2008
How to fit an arial to a VLL 87 Commodore
Posted on Sep 07, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 20, 2014 | Car Audio Receivers
Feb 16, 2014 | Blaupunkt Car Audio Receivers
Aug 17, 2013 | Clarion XMD3
Nov 26, 2012 | Pioneer DEH-2100 CD Player
Aug 05, 2010 | Pioneer DEH-2100 CD Player
May 18, 2009 | Metra Antennaworks 44-PW64
Jun 13, 2008 | Car Audio Receivers
10,627 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: