Hi there !
So tell me, what do you want to do with your computer? Do your computer crash and need to reinstall your Windows Vista operating system? Or you want to upgrade your operating system from Windows XP to Windows Vista.
For reinstalling Windows Vista, is it the same procedure when reinstalling Windows XP and Windows 7. Here is the link on how to reinstall operating system http://www.fixya.com/support/r7410371-reinstall_windows_xp_or_installing_clean
. For Windows Vista, here is the procedure on how to reinstall Windows Vista.
1. Just put the installer CD into the CDROM Drive and open your computer
2. If message appear to press any key to boot from CD. Press any key to go to Windows Set up.
3. From there, just follow the installation procedure and put CD key if prompted and it will install itself the whole process. It will reboot for 3 times and don't press anykey when this happen. it will be finished within 20 mins.
For upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista, remember that all your files and softwares will be remove except for the hardware drivers. But not all the hardware drivers will be 100% working because upgrading the operating system will make your drivers outdated or not compatible with Windows Vista. If some drivers not working, just install the hardware drivers compatible with Windows Vista.
Here is the procedure.
1. Do not put the Windows Vista installer CD yet into the CDROM drive.
2. Open your computer and let it run to Windows XP program until is is finished to load your Windows settings.
3. Now insert your Windows Vista installer CD to the CDROM drive, it will pop up the upgrade installation wizard and just choose the upgrade installation. It will run the upgrading installation and just follow the instruction and it will be finish with 20 mins.
I hope this will help you and thank you for using FixYa !