Question about Compaq Presario R3000 Notebook
My Compaq Presario R3000 laptop (bought June 2004) does not boot up. With the CD-ROM drive and hard drive in, it gives a faint repetitive ticking sound.
Originally, the laptop froze in the middle of an MS Word Application, and then did not boot up again since. The main power light comes on, but that's about it.
I have tried the following:
1. Removed Battery Pack and all electrical connection. Re-connected battery pack - still no change. I have now permanently removed the battery pack and try with the main power supply.
2. Also removed CD-ROM drive. The faint ticking sound stops (thereby assuming it was originally from the CD_ROM drive). There is another small repetitive sound coming from the hard drive. Still does not boot up.
3. Also removed hard drive. I was hoping to see an error message on the screen. I still don't see anything. I converted my hard drive to an external hard drive with an adapter and the data is safe on that.
4. Also removed RAM chip from under the keyboard and put it on the back of the computer in the second slot (I only have one 512 MB RAM chip). Still no change, and it doesn't boot up.
5. Also removed RAM chip completely from computer. I do not get a beeping sound when I switch on the laptop. I am not sure how to diagnose after this.
Hope you guys have seen something like this before and have some suggestions!
Set the bios/cmos to boot first of your CD drive. get your support discs and restore to original. your hard drive OS has failed and needs to be re-installed. the problem maybe is that when you do that option you will get all your data erased. your solution to that since you can still get the data on the drive when used as external is to back it up. then full restore your system.
if you dont have your restore kit, you can use your Windows OS to fix it, repair option when you boot from CD.
Posted on Apr 02, 2008
If you go to Compaq's website... they have an extensive section on troubleshooting this exact problem. I have the same laptop, and it started doing the exact same thing described above by 'matix' .... I went thru the troubleshooting and found that one of my memory modules had failed.... I replaced the module, and my laptop is running just fine now....
Posted on Dec 29, 2009
I want sound so iwant sound device or driver sofatware imediatley so please help me sir
Posted on May 05, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 12, 2011 | HP Laptop Keyboard for HP Compaq Presario...
Jun 13, 2009 | HP Pavilion zd7000 zx5000 zv5000 presario...
May 26, 2009 | Compaq Presario-Notebook 700 Series, 2500...
May 25, 2009 | Compaq Presario-Notebook 700 Series, 2500...
Dec 22, 2008 | Compaq Presario R3000 15.4-inch TFT WXGA...
Oct 19, 2008 | Compaq Presario R3000 Notebook
Jan 25, 2008 | HP Pavilion zd7000 zx5000 zv5000 presario...
Dec 16, 2007 | Compaq Presario R3000 Notebook
1,138 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: