Question about Computers & Internet
Maybe but try this first:
If the PC posts
(power on self test) and you see stuff on the screen, no matter how short , do the following: (this checks for a software problem)
· when booting up press F8 and when you get to the menu, boot up into safe mode,
· then restore the pc back to a date before you had the problem, and/or remove any program you installed prior to you having the problem,
if that don't work Try
· a boot-able anti virus disc use it to check for any viruses , if not
· try a recovery disc, or operating system disc ,
· both disc's will try to access the hard drive. if they do not work,
· (nothing has changed) nothing comes on the screen.
if PC does not post: (then it is a hardware problem)
· Remove any hardware you may have installed prior to you having the problem.
· remove the ram and clean the gold edges both sides, with rubbing alcohol or a pencil eraser,
· and re-insert them, (not an ink eraser as it will do damage)
· swap them around if you have more than one, try one at a time.
· if you only have one, borrow one from a friend or try the ram in your friends laptop ,if that's possible,
· or take the ram to your local pc shop and ask them to check it for you (they may do that for you)
· if you can establish that the ram is ok, and recovery /system disc's do not work, then it is most likely, that the motherboard has failed .
· Generally a dead hard drive would not stop the PC from posting.
good luck with that and let me know how you get on.
Posted on Apr 02, 2008
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 06, 2012 | Gateway GM5442 PC Desktop
Mar 07, 2012 | Gateway 510XL (2800446) PC Desktop
Jun 24, 2009 | Intel Desktop Board D815EEA2 (BOX815EEAA2)...
Jun 13, 2009 | Dell Dimension 4400 PC Desktop
Jun 13, 2009 | Gateway 506GR PC Desktop
May 17, 2009 | Gateway GT4010 (RBGT4010) PC Desktop
Jan 10, 2009 | Gateway E-4200 Notebook
53 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!