Question about Whirlpool GH6177XP Microwave Oven
THE LAST TIME THE MICROWAVE WAS USED (EARLIER IN THE DAY), IT WORKED FINE. THEN I WENT TO USE IT AND NO POWER. I CHECKED THE BREAKER AND IT WAS POPPED, SO I RESET IT. STILL NO POWER AND THE CIRCUIT POPPED AGAIN. I UNPLUGGED IT AND RESET THE CIRCUIT AND PLUGGED SOMETHING ELSE IN TO VERIFY THE PLUG WORKED. WHIRLPOOL GH6177XPS-0 1800 WATTS, ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF OLD.
I CALLED AND THEY WANT A $75 TRIP CHARGE WITH NO GUARANTEES TO COME LOOK. ANY IDEAS?
1. Try plugging the MW into a normal wall outlet, if it trips then carry it to the repair shop for free analysis & perhaps manufacturer covered repairs
2. Try plugging a table lamp into the MW circuit, then a hair dryer set to different speeds.
3. Try to plug in night lights/etc. into outlets nearby, even if on other side of wall, then trip breaker to see what goes off.
4. Try to remember what new items might be on this "dedicated" circuit and plug them in elsewhere.
The answers to all this will really save you money in diagnostics charged by either repair shop or electrician home call. New houses don't mean ideal electricians - some run GFI circuits all over the place!
Posted on Dec 17, 2008
If it pop when you plug it in you have a short in the power cord or control. you can ohm out the cord to check it ..I can also help you with the control...
Posted on Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for the input, but it's a brand new house and it has it's own circuit. The microwave came with the house from the builder so i'm sure it's rated correctly. It pops the circuit when it's plugged in, i can't even get the chance to start the microwave. Do you think it's worth looking at and fixing or just buy a new one?
Posted on Apr 04, 2008
Two possible causes.
First (and most likely) the circuit is being overloaded. This kitchen circuit may be shared with another appliance (like the refrigerator) which is drawing enough power when both are running to trip the breaker. A Typical kitchen circuit is 20 amp with #12 wiring. So an 1800 watt microwave might draw 13 or 14 amps while a fridge compressor kicking in can surpass 7 amps before it levels off. If this is an older home the kitchen may have a 15 amp circuit with #14 wiring. If the circuit is a 20 amp you will have to split the appliances onto separate circuits. (Under code a kitchen must have a minimum of 2 separate appliance circuits). If it is a 15 amp you might be able to split them as well or may be looking up upgrading the breaker and the wiring from 15amp #14 to 20 amp #12 (but you could still have the same problem).
The other possibility is a short or loose connection. If splitting appliances onto their own circuits doesn't fix this you would probably want an electrician to come in and check for other underlying causes which could represent a fire hazard.
Hope this helps.
Posted on Apr 01, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 01, 2012 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Feb 02, 2010 | Sharp R-1874 Convection/Microwave Oven
Oct 19, 2009 | LG 1.2 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave -...
May 18, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Nov 04, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Oct 27, 2008 | GE JE2160 Microwave Oven
Sep 10, 2007 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Aug 06, 2006 | Frigidaire PLMV168 Microwave Oven
259 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: