- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
There are a few parts that will cause this problem, the first! a high voltage diode "opens or shorts" the second! is the high voltage capacitor becomes defective, next the magnetron is a common failure "heats the food" the least less likely to fail is the high voltage transformer. The cost for parts and labor will be on the high side to rectify the situation.
if everything works except the heating, it is most likely the mag tube is on its way out.........that is the most common reason for it not too cook.......since the microwave is a GE and it is 3.5 years old, i would say you are better off buying a new microwave, the mag tube starts at around $70.00 and up + the labor it costs too have a service person put it in........around another $60.00
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.
The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven.
Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace
the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.
There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the
magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper
electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have
to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly
lengthy process however.
I have the same problem. Everything seems to work except it doesn't heat up food.
I remember last time when it was working. I pressed the start botton before I closed the door. So it didn't start automatically, and I pushed start and it worked(it still heat up the food), but it doesn't work now. Help Please!!!
I have a Whirlpool Gold GH5184XPQ.
While it's possible it could be a door switch or mount, it's most likely a bad magnetron or a bad connection at the magnetron or on the control board.
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info (as well as a text file which helps in diagnosing and repairing door switch problems) at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can order parts for Samsung models here: http://www.samsungparts.com/search/search.asp