The microwave had just finished cooking and about to be opened to take out the food when the display went blank. On inspection there is a 10A fuse on the main power supply board that has blown. The neutral terminal was very loose and slightly arced so I tightened this up and fitted a new fuse but it blew as soon as it was plugged in. any ideas?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
An expert that has over 500 points.
Re: H5470 built in microwave
Sound like the door monitor switched has blown or shifted out of position if the switches dont operate in tandem when door is opened or closed it will blow the 10 amp fuse and kill the display they will need to be checked by engineer if it is monitor switch they are not expensive to replace.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Check whether there is a proper power supply. Look to see whether the cord is connected to a grounded 3-prong outlet and the cord is fully plugged in. If the electrical system is built-in and no power cord is visible, replace or reset the household fuse or circuit breaker.
Some basic microwave operational steps may affect whether the microwave is heating. Open and close the microwave door, as the unit will not function with the door open, and push "Stop/Clear" to cancel any previous settings, such as the timer, which do not heat the microwave oven.
Setting the Microwave
Once the power to the microwave has been reset, or verified as working, and the microwave is ready to run, select a new cook cycle and press "Start" to see if the microwave begins to run and cook food as expected. Allow the food to cook for the alloted time and then open the microwave door and check to see if the food has cooked or heated. Choose a longer cooking time and restart the microwave if food is heating but is cooking slowly.
If all efforts to troubleshoot the function and power to the microwave still do not get the appliance heating food as expected, there may be a repair issue that needs to be addressed. Contact professional technician for advice.
Unfortunately the fault can be that there is some organic matter that seems to cause the issue , it can be sometimes insect or small creatures that have caught into the magnetron high voltage and is cooked.Also it can be insulation failure on the magnetron that causes the smell on heating of the material. In all these cases the oven must be opened out- taken out and observed.
If the fault is in the magnetron, or the capacitor that is leaking or an insulation of the transformer, then it must be replaced. But in the first place check if you can remove the unit with your resources.
What you are to do to solve the problem is to do a general troubleshooting on your oven below are instruction to follow.
The Microwave is a counter top model with a variety of preset
cooking options, including timed cooking at a variety of power levels and
sensor-cooking settings for popcorn, rice, beverages and single-serving
The sensor cooking and reheating features detect increasing
humidity levels inside the microwave and automatically adjust cooking
time for various types and amounts of food. This microwave
also includes a turntable and an electronic control panel.
Instructions below are step by step solution for your oven
to see if the microwave will start. If it will not start and the
display panel is blank, you may have a power problem. Unplug the
microwave and then plug it back in, making sure that all three prongs
of the power cord are fully inserted into the wall outlet. If this
doesn't work, check your home's fuse box. Reset the circuit breaker to
restore if necessary.
that the microwave door is fully closed. Press the Clear/Off button to
cancel any previous cooking instructions. Re-enter your cooking
program, including cooking time and food weight if necessary, and press
"Err" appears on the microwave display, press the Clear/Off button and
reenter your cooking program. The "Err" message will appear during the
sensor-controlled programs (Popcorn, Rice, Beverage or Reheat) if the
door is opened before steam is detected or if no steam was detected
within the maximum amount of time allowed by the microwave. Be sure to
leave the door closed during these programs, at least until time is
shown counting down on the display panel.
your control panel will not work or if an "L" is displayed on the
screen, press and hold the Clear/Off button for a full three seconds to
unlock the control panel.
your sensor reheat program is resulting in under- or overcooked food,
first try decreasing the amount of food in the microwave; the sensor
programs are designed for single servings of food. The sensor reheat
function works by measuring humidity inside the microwave--do not use a
tightly-covered dish with this setting because no moisture will be able
to escape and the food will overcook. Be sure that cooking containers
are dry; moist containers will increase the humidity in the microwave
and mislead the sensor, resulting in undercooked food.
your turntable is not rotating, first check to ensure that your food
container is positioned so that it can freely rotate without hitting
the microwave's interior walls; using a smaller food container can fix
this problem. If the turntable still will not rotate, lift the
turntable from its support and replace it carefully, ensuring that it
rests evenly on its support.
1.While pressing the CANCEL keypad:
a) Open the oven door.
b) Unplug the microwave oven for 2-seconds and plug it back in.
c) Release the CANCEL keypad and close the oven door. You will see the following display.
NOTE: The humidity sensor test results will appear on the display after 8-seconds.If the tests are successful, "OK " will be displayed. If one or more of the tests fail, "ERR " will be displayed.. 2.When a keypad is pressed, a number according to the test chart will be displayed. When no keypad is pressed, a blank "?" is displayed...
F6 ?Microwave Relay Failure: Check the microwave relay.
The problem appears, at least in part, to the door latch circuitry which cannot be serviced by the owner. If the unit is still in warranty, call GE customer care. If not, replacing the unit is your best bet. I just bought a new GE 1100 watt oven with great features for less than $100 If the door dosen't latch correctly, you could be exposed to dangerous microwave energy.
power spikes are very damaging to a microwaves internal parts, it sounds like your transformer and/or magnetron are blown. if the unit is out of warranty I would recommend calling a repairman or getting a new microwave (the transformer & magnetron are expensive and dangerous to work on) also get a small single plug surge protector for the new one.
Just so I understand, you replaced the fuse inside the oven?
If so, I would suspect a bad thermostat attached to the magnetron. This device interrupts power when the unit gets too hot.
I've included a representative photo.
After so many years your magnetron may be bad, too. Once you get the oven working, if it cooks and doesn't trip the thermostat again, it may be okay.
PLUS - It looks like this model has manual rotary controls. If so, it's common for those to develop bad contacts after so many years. I would consider that my third suspect.
Those controls are called the thermostat (not to be confused with other part by that name that I discussed above) and the selector switch. One could easily be bad.
You can check part prices at Sears online at http://www3.sears.com (the "3" is supposed to be there)
Some other things that can cause a "dead" condition:
- bad connections on the small circuit board where the fuse is mounted (if such a board is present)
- bad connections in the wiring