The power-up starts, fan runs for about 1 second and then shuts down. I have taken out the memory, HD, battery and reseated them. I found something on another site about opening up the LCD video display to see if the connectors are all seated. Seems a loose connector gave the same set of symptoms. It was discovered by hooking up an external monitor. Laptop worked fine with monitor (video cable was disconnected from board). How do I go about opening up the LCD display?
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Unplug from AC, open the case, clean if necessary, reseat the memory mods, use Electronic Contact Cleaner spray on contacts, plug in, push the on/off button. Does it begin to start, and in a few seconds completly shuts down? No LED's , no fans, nothing? Sounds like a PSU failure. Mine went out in 6 years.
1. Unplug the power from the laptop and remove the battery then press the power button of the laptop for 15 seconds
2. Put the battery back in, turn on the laptop without plugging the power to the laptop (If this didn't resolve the issue)
3. Remove the battery and press the power button of the laptop for 15 seconds, after that, plug the power cord and turn on the laptop (if this didn't resolve the issue)
4. Remove the power cord and press the power button of the laptop for 15 seconds, disconnect the Hard drive and turn on the laptop (If this didn't resolve the issue) reconnec the hard drive
5. Remove the Optical Drive and turn on the laptop (If this didn't resolve the issue) reconnect the optical drive
6. Remove the memory chip, if you have 2 memory chips installed in the 2 memory slots (remove both of them) now test each one of the memory to each slots turning on the laptop. (If this didn't resolve the issue) Put the memory chip back in
7. Reseat the CPU and try to make sure that it's installed properly. Turn on the laptop and test if it's gonna work (If this didn't resolve the issue)
8. Reseat the power cords coming from the power supply of the laptop and test the laptop. (If this didn't resolve the issue)
9. Disconnect everything and just leave the CPU installed and turn on the laptop.
10. If all else fails, there's a big possibility that the problem may be with the power supply or the motherboard of the laptop.
(Note: you may try to clean your computer if there is a large amount of dust. You may try to remove the CMOS battery)
Try reseating the RAM memory modules, see if any change.
If no change, remove, battery, Drives, Wireless card and RAM, see if the system will run longer or give an error code. If something changes, add 1 RAM module and try again. If the system runs, then add items back one at a time until you determine the faulty item.
If the system issue doesn't change, odds are a motherboard problem. Motherboard are about $100 on Ebay
Disconnect the Power cable / A/c adapter/Battery from computer.
Disconnect External peripherials.
Hold down the power button on the computer for 10 seconds.
Reconnect the power cable or A/c adapter and battery or the computer
Try to turn on the computer
check for Led's on the computer
If still no display ,shut down the computer,disconnect power cable.
Open the computer tower,remove memory modules,reconnect power cable and turn on the computer.If you get a beeping sound after turning on you should be getting beeping sound suggesting the mother board is not bad.Turn on the computer and disconnect power cable from computer.
Reseat 1 memory at a time if you have 2 memory module or if single memory module reseat in different memory slot,swap memory module.
Reconnect the power cable and turn on the computer if it boots to desktop possible issue with 1 of the memory module.
Disconnect the harddrive ide cable from the harddrive .Turn on the computer.
If still unable to power on .Shutdown the computer and disconnect power cable.Remove video card,sound card ,modem card if any .Connect just the vga cable from monitor to the integrated video port.
Connect power cable and turn on the computer.
If computer turns on possible issue with one of PCI or PCI express card.
If still unable to power on.Disconnect the power connector pin from the motherboard and reconnect it back.Turn on the computer check power power led on motherboard,also check if the processor fan is spinning. if no go then issue with motherboard.
The Inspirion 5150 is a wonderful computer. reseat the memory chips it should fix it. or else. you cna run the hardware test. to run the hardware test. turn off the computer and then press the Fn key on the keyboard hold it down and then turn on the computer. the computer will go into diagnostic boot where it will test all the components. and you cna release the fn key then. it will tell you which h/w part has gone bad. i think its a motherbaord, but you can try to reseat the memory may be it will fix it.
how to reseat the memory? click here to see how to reseat all the components in 5150. Good luck.
Remove the main battery and power the laptop up - if it works connect the battery - no need to shutdown.
Next thing to try.
Remove the main battery and the BIOS battery wait 1/2 + hour, insert BIOS battery but not main battery - power up, configure BIOS Date & Time setting if OK connect main battery.
If none of this work, you have a large paper weight.
You can salvage the hard disk and insert it into an USB hard drive adapter case and use it as an external USB hard drive.