Question about PC Desktops
If the PC posts
(power on self test) and you see stuff on the screen, no matter how short , do the following: (this checks for a software problem)
· when booting up press F8 and when you get to the menu, boot up into safe mode,
· then restore the pc back to a date before you had the problem, and/or remove any program you installed prior to you having the problem,
if that don't work Try
· a boot-able anti virus disc use it to check for any viruses , if not
· try a recovery disc, or operating system disc ,
· both disc's will try to access the hard drive. if they do not work,
· (nothing has changed) nothing comes on the screen.
if PC does not post: (then it is a hardware problem)
· Remove any hardware you may have installed prior to you having the problem.
· remove the ram and clean the gold edges both sides, with rubbing alcohol or a pencil eraser,
· and re-insert them, (not an ink eraser as it will do damage)
· swap them around if you have more than one, try one at a time.
· if you only have one, borrow one from a friend or try the ram in your friends laptop ,if that's possible,
· or take the ram to your local pc shop and ask them to check it for you (they may do that for you)
· if you can establish that the ram is ok, and recovery /system disc's do not work, then it is most likely, that the motherboard has failed .
· Generally a dead hard drive would not stop the PC from posting.
good luck with that and let me know how you get on.
Posted on Apr 01, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 27, 2014 | Acer PC Desktops
Jul 16, 2013 | HP Pavilion a1410n (ER890AA) PC Desktop
Aug 22, 2012 | Acer Aspire X1 Ax-1430g-uw30p Slimline...
May 16, 2011 | PC Desktops
Dec 30, 2010 | MPC Computers ClientPro 365 PC Desktop
Mar 31, 2010 | Acer Aspire™ T180 PC Desktop
Dec 14, 2009 | HP Pavilion a1010n (PS563AA) PC Desktop
192 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!