Question about Boating
When any radio shuts off wth high volume it is caused by several things.
1. The maximum power output was reached and the unit goes into the self protection mode.
2. The most common reason.... The power transistor has partially failed and will not provide the partially amplfied output necessary.
3. Units with removable face plates vibrate enough to disengage the face plate contacts so the unit shuts off.
4. The speakers are too big for the radio causing it to self protect. (system mis-match)
5. Loose connectors/pins on the radio input and output connections.
6. A poor system ground that is good enough for low volume use but when high power use is encountered the ground is not good enough to carry the amperage necessary.
These are the most comon reasons for a unit to shut off at higher volumes.
It is not always an easy fix troubleshooting this problem. I know first hand as a life long electrician that has the exact same problem with the radio in my automobile. (Mine appears to be a power transistor grounding problem) With shipping to the repair center each way and the flat rate repair cost it would cost as much as a new one!
Thanks for using FixYa.
Posted on May 13, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 16, 2014 | Audio Players & Recorders
Jul 04, 2009 | Sony CDX-GT210 CD Player
May 14, 2009 | Kenwood Car Audio & Video
Mar 05, 2009 | Kenwood KDC-MP538U Car CD/ MP3 Player
Jan 27, 2009 | Kenwood KDC-X692 Car CD/ MP3 Player
Dec 05, 2008 | JVC AM FM CD DET FACE CAR STEREO
Aug 11, 2008 | JVC AM FM CD DET FACE CAR STEREO
Jul 28, 2008 | Audio Players & Recorders
Aug 05, 2007 | Aquatronics AMS602WR Coaxial Car Speaker
Mar 24, 2007 | Kenwood Sirius KDC-MP522 CD Player
118 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!