Question about General Electric GE SmartWater Household Water Filtration System - GNWH38F

1 Answer

We have a leaking water heater.

We live in a mobile home and I cant tell if the water heater its self is leaking or maybe just a valve. I want to know is there a shut off valve that goes to the water heater cause as of know we have all the water shut off and it might be a couple of days before we get a new one. The water heater we have is an G.E. Smart Water Model # GG30T6XA. It would be nice to get an owners manual.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 102 Answers

As far as a shut off valve on to the water heater, if there is one you should be able to see it on the water line going to the heater. This is not common in mobile homes. If there is not one I would strongly recomend you install one when you replace the heater. If it is going to be a while before you replace the heater you might consider draining it and cutting into the inlet line and installing a shut off valve, so you can turn the house water back on. I hope this helps.

Posted on May 13, 2010


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Water heater using too much electricity.

Check if the TP valve is running water, and replace TP valve. Check if there is water leak somewhere
Replace both thermostats and both elements, and then keep temperature turned down.
Add a comment and describe what you find.

If you need further help, I’m available over the phone at

Jun 15, 2013 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

After the home inspector tested our older water heater the styrofoam casing over one element melted a bit and we had to push reset button each time we needed hot water and only got luke warm water. We...

Why is the home inspector removing cover on a water heater?
He might be going overboard to provide good inspection, but my experience says never mess with something old or it will break next day and you get blamed.
He could have made visual inspection for leaking, and checked if water was hot by opening drain valve and TP valve ... but he might cause a drip doing that.
He shouldn't open any appliance.
Did the inspector cause the problem? Maybe yes, or maybe not.
Maybe he helped solve a bigger problem that was looming but hadn't happened yet, and it forced you to get a new heater which you probably feel more comfortable with.

Call the manufacturer about warranty coverage. manufacturer appears on label on side of tank.
Troubleshoot resources:

If you need further help, I’m available over the phone at

Oct 02, 2012 | Water Heaters

2 Answers

Vacuum valve leaking water

Question is unclear.
What is a vacuum valve?
You posted under electric water heater.
Water heaters are associated with TP or 'safety overflow' valve, water shut-off valve, tank drain valve, pressure-regulating valve, mixing valve and possibly a few other plumbing valves.
Vacuum valve implies that a compressor is creating pressure on one line while creating vacuum on another line. I don't know of a water heater that uses air compressor.
Open following link to help troubleshoot leaking water heater:

Jul 23, 2011 | Rheem 40 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...

1 Answer

I just noticed that my hot water heater that is 6 years old is dripping very slowly from the bottom faucet, how can i stop this leak. thank you.

If you mean the drain valve, then buy garden hose cap at home center.
Cap will have rubber washer that seals tank.
If drain valve is plastic, the cap may not thread on without sanding down end of plastic drain valve.
Otherwise replace drain valve, which is simple if drain valve is brass, but can be difficult if drain valve is plastic.
Turn off power to water heater: Electric: turn off circuit breaker. Gas: turn knob to pilot.
Turn off water, open bathtub spigot on Hot side, drain water heater, remove drain valve with wrench.
If plastic drain valve breaks while being removed, then 'gently' break out broken part using hammer and big screwdriver.
Buy new drain valve at box store in water heater department.
Put teflon tape on new drain valve threads.

Add a comment for more free help.
Also take advantage of fixya expert assistance live.
For a price, expert works with you while you work on water heater or any do-it-yourself project.
Fixya is always less expensive than a service call.

Mar 06, 2011 | Rheem 50 Gallon FVR NATGAS Water Heater...

1 Answer

I have a Reliance Sta-Kleen 805 Electric Water Heater that is leaking from the cold valve but the water is coming out hot. How do I repair it?

If I understand correctly you have residential electric water heater, and your shut off valve located above water heater on cold-water line is leaking?

1) Hot water would come out of this valve if it's leaking because water inside tank is hot and under pressure ... also remember, hot water rises so tank is probably heating the water inside the cold line during hours when no hot water is being used.

2) You probably need to replace the valve. But if water is leaking because a pipe is rusted, the valve may be ok, and just the pipe needs to be replaced.
Take a photo of your problem to hardware store or home center.
I used to work in those stores and could help folks get the right parts.

3) Here are some steps for replacing the valve.
Shut off main water source into house. This is usually located underground in same box where meter-reader looks at meter.
Your water heater shut off valve is called a gate valve, and it will be 3/4"
All water heater pipes are 3/4"
You will need two 10-12" pipe wrenches, maybe a new gate valve, maybe a new flex connector, probably short 3/4 pipe pieces, teflon tape for each threaded pipe.
Hardware store or home center can get you the right materials, just take a photo over to hardware store

4) When you get started, turn off water heater circuit breaker for a couple hours so water will cool down. You don't want to get scalded with hot water.
Do NOT drain the tank.
Simply open a bathtub faucet on hot side to release pressure.
When finished, turn on the water, and make sure water is flowing out of tub spout in full stream before turning circuit breaker ON

Add a comment for more free help.
Also take advantage of fixya phone service.
For a price, expert speaks with you over phone while you work on water heater or any do-it-yourself project.
Fixya is always less expensive than a service call.


2 Answers

It occasionally leaks water - maybe a quart, leaves a puddle in the middle of the floor and I can see that it came somewhere from the heater, but not where because it is not leaking from anyplace. I have...

Here are a few tings to look for:
When COLD WATER comes into the heater, it might cause sweating of the Cold water line, if the humidity is high in the house? This is usually in summer time only-- when the humidity inside the house is higher..

Another possible place, is the relief valve:
If you have a check valve or two in the system, that ends up trapping all the COLD water in the tank, as it goes thru its heating cycle, -- the Cold water expands, and has to be relieved-- Thus the relief valve will spit out a puddle of water keeping the pressure at a safe level.
(However-- usually the system has a drop pipe coming out of the relief valve-- so likely you would have said that the puddle was at the bottom of the drop pipe-- and you probably would have suspected it..)

However-- Do these suggestions give you some ideas of where the water puddle is coming from ?
Tell us more-

Mack B

Jan 17, 2011 | Rheem 40 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...

1 Answer

There is a Reliance 640 dort 40 gallon water tank installed in my bedroom closet. It's a mobile home and I rent. It's bad enough that a home model is in there and is larger then a mobile home water tank,...

Water heater explosions are extremely rare.
I do water heater research including insurance data on water heaters >>> the insurance industry has no reports that I've ever seen of exploded water heaters.
The water heater manufacturers experimented on prior generations, so now our water heaters are safe.
You can turn the water heater off when it is not being used.
You can also set the temperature to a modest 120 degrees and then the water never gets hot enough to cause any problem with the TP valve (drain pipe) or any problem burning you when you use hot water.

If you have a gas water heater, the TP valve will start dribbling water if there is ever a overheating event. So you will see it starting to get bad and then you can report the problem to your landlord

If you have a electric water heater, electric water heater has 3 safety features.
1) The circuit breaker
2) An energy cut-off red reset button located behind the top panel.
3) The TP valve

Here's another solution. Put a metal paint can or metal pot under the TP valve pipe where it comes down to the floor. Do not cap off this pipe.

My last solution is one my friend took when draining his water heater in a rented trailer. He drilled a hole in the floor. Your TP valve should exit the trailer. His solution might not be right for you. But take some photos of the problem and keep them in store in case the landlord refuses to refund the deposit.

Rest well. Every trailer, and every home has a water heater. I worked in the trades for 30 years. I never saw or read of one exploded water heater except the mythbusters video on U-tube (which is entertaining and shows how far a water heater has to be pushed before there is a problem).


1 Answer

I need a new water heater, I live in a mobile home, 9yrs.old.

you can use a residential water heater, just make sure it's the correct amperage/power draw for your circuits.

Jun 20, 2009 | Reliance & 40 Gal Electric Mobile Home...

2 Answers

Rheemglas Fury DV leaking?


I don't know if you have resolved your issue by changing the T&P relief valve. However, if you have replaced it and it appears to have resolved the problem ... it will most likely be only a temporary resolve. And what has happened, it that the water that was being relieved via the T&P valve is now unknowingly leaking / being relieved by a toilet or some other means.

The reason of the leak in the first place is that the most likely the water purveyor has recently installed a DCV (dual check valve) at or within the water meter location. Not knowing where you live, but we are in NC and these DVC's are being installed all over the country.

Basically, your home's plumbing system used to be an "open system" and not it is a "closed system". In earlier times, when the water heater cycled it heated the water, which cause the volume to thermally expand ... and the water was pushed backwards through the meter and it did not allow the water pressures to build. However, with the DCV installed ... now when the water heater cycles and expands water, with no place for the excess water volume to migrate, it now causes a hydraulic effect within the closed system ... which causes the water pressure to become elevated, ultiamtely being relieved at the T&P ...

Here are a couple of links from Watts ....that will help.

Locally, we have been on the Cross Connection / Dual Check Valve crusade since early in 1991. We concur that the check valves warrant installation. However the Buidling / Plumbing Codes are not up to speed with truly what is going and how much damage to personal property is occurring with failed water lines ... both inside the home and outside.

Best, Gary H.

Hestand Associates /

Dec 24, 2008 | Water Heaters

Not finding what you are looking for?
General Electric GE SmartWater Household Water Filtration System - GNWH38F Logo

278 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top General Electric Water Heaters Experts

Paul Carew

Level 3 Expert

3313 Answers


Level 3 Expert

80407 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

17326 Answers

Are you a General Electric Water Heater Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides