Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Does it stay off? or does it have the blinking red lights after it goes off? if it just stays off with no lights or sound you may have a bad power supply. its fairly easy to replace it if you are a "do it yourselfer" if its the second one then what you might have is the YLOD which is a serious problem.
what you got is what is know as yellow lite of death --YLOD
this is the site i got the info from...
and you are not the only one to experience this. more and more ps3 owners are getting hit with this problem. your best bet will be to send it off to sony if its under warrenty for they'll fix it for free. but be cautious of this for they may even replace your system and you may not get your original system back. if its not under warrenty you'll get hit with an $150 charge.
The YLOD is a major hardware failure for the PlayStation 3. The specific cause is somewhat known, but Sony has not commented about this failure whatsoever. Some theories for the cause include: overheating (accelerated by dust build-up), blu-ray drive failure, bad power supply, and/or a hard drive critical error. **UPDATE** According to an eBay store that repairs YLOD PS3's, the hardware failure is caused by either/or of two things:
1. Hardware malfunction on the motherboard due to heating/cooling (solder physically cracking/breaking) which can be fixed by "reflowing", which is a fancy way of using a machine that has a super controlled (+ or - .5 degrees) hot air nozzle to re-melt the solder on the base of the defective chip to re-attach it.
2. The power supply has the failure in one of its capacitors or diodes. This can also be fixed by "reflowing" but it is harder to diagnose due to the need to chase down which one it is. **According to this eBay store, this scenario is a much more difficult way to repair PS3's with the YLOD. They state they can only repair 8 out of 10 PS3's with the YLOD**
You know you have received the YLOD when the following occurs (Can also be seen here):
* You power on the console.
* The console starts up normally for about 2-3 seconds,
* The console beeps 3 times while flashing a faint yellow light,
* The console continues to flash a red light.
Posted on May 12, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
It's a hardware problem.
Try removing the hard drive from the system and then turning on the PS3.
If that doesn't work, check out my blog for help fixing the problem.
Please feel free to email me any other questions and please don't forget to rate!
Posted on Feb 26, 2009
Sounds like a firmware issue. Happened to me after I had an update. I was told by Sony to wait for another update. Turned out it fixed the problem. Also check on your memory, if you're running low..delete some etc...might resolve. Lastly hold down the front power button for 5 seconds until you hear 2 beeps release it and this should reset. Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMexfcOzreE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted on Nov 22, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 22, 2011 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jan 15, 2011 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Sep 04, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
May 19, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jan 11, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Dec 28, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Feb 27, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Nov 21, 2008 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jan 12, 2008 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jan 11, 2008 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
285 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!