Question about Brother MFC 420CN All-In-One InkJet Printer
I have Brother Fax MC420. It said the "cyan" was empty. I put a brand new cartridge in and it won't let me do anything. It keeps saying empty cartridge. I was trying to receive a fax and it wouldn't do that because of this issue. Can you help?
How do I clear the message "NEAR EMPTY
BLACK", "NEAR EMPTY MGENT", NEAR EMPTY CYAN" or "NEAR EMPTY YELLOW"
from the display? Near Ink Empty, Magenta
Description of Solution 200000002119
DO NOT TAP OR SHAKE THE INK CARTRIDGE AT ANY TIME WHILE TROUBLESHOOTING!
NEAR INK EMPTY (COLOR) is a notification that a particular color(s) is running low. To clear a NEAR INK EMPTY message from the display, you need to replace the ink cartridge(s) that is near empty. However, if you do not want to replace the cartridge until it is empty, you can continue to use the machine with NEAR INK EMPTY on the LCD. You are notrequired to change the cartridge until INK EMPTY appears. If you want to replace the near empty cartridge, follow the instructions below:
1. Open the Scanner Cover by lifting from the right-hand side of the Brother machine until it locks securely into the open position
2. To remove the ink cartridge(s) that are near empty pull the white plastic hook, locked over the edge of the ink cartridge(s) toward you and then lift the cartridge out.
NOTE: Brother strongly recommends that customers do not use generic ink or refill their Brother ink cartridges. Using non-Brother supplies may affect the hardware performance, print quality and machine reliability since the ink formulation in genuine Brother ink cartridges prevent smearing and clogging of the print head. The Brother limited warranty does not apply to any problem that was caused by the use of unauthorizedthird party ink and/or cartridges.
3. Unplug the machine from the power outlet and then plug it back in torecycle the machine.
4. The display will now read "No Cartridge Detected" or "Near Ink Empty".
5. Open the Scanner Cover by lifting from the right-hand side of the Brother machine until it locks securely into the open position
6. Open the new ink cartridge and take the ink cartridge out of the bag.
7. Remove the yellow plastic cartridge cover from the bottom on the ink cartridge. Carefully remove the cover in the direction away from you.
· To prevent spilling ink and staining your hands and clothing, removethe cover gently.
· If the cartridge cover comes off when you open the bag the cartridgewill not be damaged.
8. Important!! Reinstall the ink cartridge(s) in the order of the LCD is instructing you too. Press down FIRMLY on the top of the cartridge until it is fully seated. Push the white plastic hook towards the cartridge to verify it is fully latched over the top edge of the cartridge. If additional cartridges were removed, follow this procedureagain for the next color that is instructed on the LCD.
9. After installing the ink cartridge, lift the scanner cover to releasethe lock.
10.Gently push the scanner cover support down and close the scanner cover.
11. The LCD will ask if you replaced the ink cartridge. Example: Did youChange Blck? 1.Yes 2.No. For each new cartridge you installed, press 1 on the dial pad to automatically reset the ink dot counter for that color.
12. The machine will enter a cleaning cycle for approximately 3 minutes for each replaced cartridge. The LCD alternately shows "Cleaning" and "Please Wait".
13.If the LCD returned to Standby mode and NEAR INK EMPTY no longer appears on the display, the issue is resolved.
If the machine still display "Near Ink Empty", a firmware update is required for your machine. For information and instructions regarding the firmware update refer to faq "How do I download and install the firmware update utility?".
Posted on May 18, 2010
Try resetting the printer and reseating the cartridge see if that helps
Posted on May 11, 2010
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 21, 2010 | Brother Computers & Internet
Mar 25, 2010 | Brother IntelliFax-2480C Fax
Jun 04, 2009 | Brother MFC 420CN All-In-One InkJet...
Apr 28, 2009 | Brother DCP 130C All-In-One InkJet Printer
Sep 20, 2017 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Jul 07, 2008 | Brother DCP 115C All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jan 22, 2008 | Brother MFC 210C All-In-One InkJet Printer
Aug 25, 2007 | Brother MFC 210C All-In-One InkJet Printer
231 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!