a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Assuming it is an electric built in or built under oven, these are commonly fitted into a dedicated cupboard (oven housing) that matches the other kitchen units and typically little or no facility for ventilation is provided.
Electric ovens are usually so well insulated and covered with reflective foil the need for ventilation is minimal, especially when a standard size oven is fitted into the correct standard sized housing as it will provide an air-space of an inch or more all around.
It can be expected the housing near the top of the oven will become warm after a while and the shelf above likely to become warm enough to soften a candle but if it gets hot enough to actually melt a candle I think that is rather too hot. The addition of additional insulation and reflective material should improve matters greatly.
I suggest you approach the guy who fitted the oven if it was professionally fitted. It would have been his responsibility to only fit a suitable appliance and if additional ventilation was required he should have advised you.
I believe I have seen some oven housings with a slim grille over the oven and it is probable there would have also been a slot cut at the rear and perhaps a short piece of trunking to carry warm air away from the space directly above the oven.
Your magnetron is overheating, and its attached thermostat is doing its job to protect the magnetron by shutting off the power to the oven until it cools back down to a safe temperature.
An overheating magnetron
can be due to:
oven without cover(s) in place
magnetron installed in oven
an old or
otherwise failing magnetron
power line voltage (should be 110-125VAC)
foods low in
moisture (popcorn & bacon, e.g. - add 1/2 cup of water in rear
oven when cooking such foods)
inoperable cooling fan or hood vent exhaust fan
foam weatherstripping seals in air ducts or on outside cover
vents (dust, animal nest debris, insufficient free air space behind
& around oven, etc.)
greasy charcoal filter or grease filter
in hood vent exhaust
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, and it is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating
our Web site, we have a video
available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
Accessing some parts may
require you to pull the oven from the wall and remove the cover.
so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have
two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE
owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
You can find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full
model number here.
We'rehappy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
Found this post on another fixya-type site: below is the link.. Here's a repeat of Kai's instructions so you don't have to scroll down. I just replaced mine and it was a snap. Just a few Phillips screws and a few tugs. No need to pull the unit completely out as you can access the bulb after it's about half way. No need to disconnect any wiring harness except pulling the bulb out of its socket. I used the 10w (G4 12V) replacement bulb from Home Depot at $6. The light is a bit brighter but there've been no problems with fuses.
1) Turn off power to the unit 2) Open the lower oven door 3) Remove the side trim screws and pull the trims down and out. 4) Remove 2 screws on the sides of the control panel. 5) Open the Microwave door. Remove the 3 screws on the Air Vent Plastic Cover on top of the microwave. You can then remove the Air Vent Cover by pushing the control panel up and pull out slightly at the bottom. 6) Remove the 4 screws on the Air Vent Plastic Cover on top of the lower oven and remove the Air Vent Cover. (You may have to remove the left under side bracket of the Microwave door temporarily just for the Air Vent Cover to clear the screw of the bracket. Re-secure the side bracket of the Microwave door panel as the front panel may fall) 7) Remove the 2 screws which held the Microwave unit in place behind the Air Vent Cover on step 6. 8) Wiggle the Microwave unit out about half way to expose the light bulb unit on top center 9) Wiring to the Control Panel will prevent you from pulling the Microwave unit out any further. And you don't want to do that as the unit may fall. Space is cramped, but working carefully with pliers you should be able to release the springs which held down the light bulb unit and change the bulb. http://www.fixed4free.com/answers.php?id=51232
This is normal. The microwave can be set to recirculate, which is what you have now. If the unit was uninstalled you would see in the top near the back a cover that can be removed to blow up thru a duct. You probally have no duct above so it was just set up to recirculate. This isn't a problem only if you use it for venting your stove, this will recirculate smoke and such but not unsafe. If you enter your model # at www.appliancehelponline.com you can bring up diagrams and illustrations which will show you the options.
A copy of the installation instructions for your units should contain how far it should be.Try to study it. You'll likely find that the over the range units will fit the standard 30" cabinet and also provide the required clearance to the range top.
Consider the following:- power source (dedicated circuit, with an outlet box in the cabinet above).
Venting (outside ot inside), and attaching method.
Though they're simple in concept to install, it's a bit awkward in reality.
The main thing you need to determine is sufficient space between the MW and the stove.
You will have to check, but I believe you need 18" beneath the microwave.
Many companies have brackets for that purpose.