Could the fault be caused by the Capacitor!?
I had a similar problem as Seanski,
Except my microwave is a Panasonic one,
I tested the magnetron and all readings are fine (according to the Web), but the Capacitor doesn't seem to oscillate from Infinity to 0 ohm!!??
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: GE Microwave JE1640WB blows circuit breaker
The problem may not have anything to do with the magnetron.
It is a device that uses DC for operation and to supply that, there is one or more heavy diodes that are more likely to fail first.
Have also seen the transformers fail occasionally too.
Frankly, it may be time to dispose of it since you will likely be billed for the repair if the magnetron is not at fault and once they have it, you don't know if the truth is being told or not.
Another possibility is a circuit breaker on its way to the grave.
If you care to go to the trouble, you might shut down the main breaker in the breaker box, swap the tripping breaker with another of the same rating and try the microwave one more time.
The surge current the microwave draws is probably a good bit higher than the hair dryer and might be enough to trip an aged breaker.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You'll have to remove the cabinet cover to access the fuse. It is in line with the power cord. 20 Amp, slow blow.
One of the screws on the back of the cover may be a security TORX (the kind with a pin in the center of the head). Usually, if you tap on it with a hammer, you can remove it with a pair ov Vise-Grip pliers.
I have a hard time believing that the home's main breaker is tripping instead of the branch circuit breaker that feeds the microwave. I suspect it is really just a difference in terms. You should disconnect it and try using in another outlet - preferably one on a different circuit if possible. If the breaker continues to trip; this appliance should be disconnected and either be discarded, repaired or replaced before using again.
If the microwave works as expected (on a different circuit), it may indicate the original circuit is overloaded. Microwave overs are supposed to be installed on a dedicated circuit. This means only one outlet is on the circuit - no other loads (lights, appliances, etc.) are permitted on this circuit. A microwave typically requires 10 Amps or more when on "high" and will require a significant portion of the power supplied by a 15 or 20 amp circuit breaker. There is little unused to power much of anything else. If other appliances go out when the microwave trips the circuit breaker, you should contact an electrician to have a dedicated outlet installed for the microwave.
your power transformer for the magnetron could have a shorted primary power winding,the door safety interlock switch could be mis-adjusted,this normally blows the internal unit fuse,a shorted high voltage capacitor,or diode,a bare wire inside the unit,more than the microwave on that circuit or a weak circuit breaker in the house power panel
Magnetron is done. This part heats the food. GE microwaves tend to have them stop working quite frequently. They basically make up the majority of the cost of the microwave, so instead of replacing the magnetron, you would be better off getting a new microwave.
The most likely cause is a blown fuse or a kicked circuit breaker. Look in the cabinet above the microwave and see if the microwave is plugged into the ou let in that cabinet. If it is plug a blow dryer or some other little appliance in to that same outlet to see if you have power there. If no power go to your electrical panel and either replace the fuse or turn the breaker off and then back on.
yes you do and this is not reall advisable as there is high voltage components inside.thre is normally a fault with the machine if it blows a fuse.if you want to still try then make sure yoiu unplug it and short the plug on some metal to get rid of any stored charge.the main things to blow a fuse is the door switches sticking,the bulb blowing or a fault with the high voltage system which you would need a special multimeter to yest,hope this helps
Since power = voltage X current, 1.58kW / 120VAC = 13.166A
So this unit should be fine on a 15A breaker unless the breaker is bad, the wiring or a connection is loose somewhere between the breaker and the microwave, or the microwave's magnetron or high voltage transformer are failing and drawing extra current.
Microwaves should really be on the own separate breaker if at all possible. Plus, the more a breaker trips, the more work out it gets.
Have you measured the voltage at the outlet? If that's off, current and power will be affected. It should be about 110-125VAC.
A good power test for outlet and wiring integrity is a toaster, toaster oven, or hair dryer rated at about 1500 watts.
If it doesn't run and heat steadily, then there may be a problem with the house wiring or breaker.
If it passes this test, the problem is likely in the microwave.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
It could be a bad in-line circit breaker fuse.
Unplug the microwave and take the outside cover off. Look for the in-line circuit breaker fuse. Use a plastic fuse puller (not your hands or a metal tool as there is still voltage stored in the microwave even when it is unplugged).
Look at the fuse and see if it is blown. (The metal wire running length of tube will be broken. If you have one, test with an Ohmmeter.