Question about Sony STR-DE525
There is a feature" called PROTECTOR. It protects the system from short circuit or dangerously high volume levels, the system will shut down and go into this protection mode to avoid blowing speakers or damaging other equipment connected to it. How can it be fixed so it can work again?
Is there a reset for this
Posted on Apr 10, 2008
The output transistors are probably defective. These are MN and MP transistors available from Sony and run about $12 each. There may be other components in the output stage that need to be replaced as well. Expect about $25-$40 in parts plus the local labor rate.
Posted on Mar 26, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
May 28, 2014 | Audio & Video Receivers
Sep 26, 2011 | Sony STR-DH810 Receiver
It is possible that the amplifier had encountered a fault with a higher current drain which had triggered it to a protection fault condition. The fault can be your output drivers- the MOSFETS/IC's fitted for both the channels, Use a meter after disconnecting to check for short in the drivers. Disconnect the positive and negative voltages to the output and see if the protect changes. Even a fault in the preamp stages that drives in high current into the output can shut the Amplifier. Sometimes this can be a noise like a HUM or HISS before the protect works. Faulty capacitors in these circuits also can cause similar issues and needs close observation.
You need to confirm and replace the specific stages or outputs. If not there can be issues in the mother board, maybe the protect circuit by itself is shutting off due to a faulty bias , maybe a leak in any voltage/current sensing circuit. Also disconnect the speakers and test, if the protect is off then check for short on the speakers.
Aug 24, 2011 | Audio & Video Receivers
Jun 13, 2011 | Sony STR-DE715 Receiver
Apr 27, 2011 | Sony Audio & Video Receivers
The protective device on the receiver has been activated because of a short circuit.
("PROTECTOR" flashes.) Turn off the receiver, eliminate the short-circuit problem and turn on the power again.
Generally speaking, an amp protects itself from heat, shorts and overloads.
Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.
You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.
If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.
If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it 'naked'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced hands-on tech.
Jan 22, 2011 | Sony STR-GA8ES Receiver
Jan 20, 2009 | Sony STR-DE875 Receiver
Oct 05, 2007 | Sony STR-GA7ES
345 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!