Question about HP iPAQ hw6515 Pocket PC
My iPAQ has developed a problem with the GPS, which is probably the same as being described in this forum.
I saw your comment regarding Global Locate being purchased and the LTO files no longer being available. However, I think this may not be the problem. There are two reasons why I think that:
1. The GPS sometimes works fine and sometimes not. The LTO files still download regularly and about 1 in 3 times the file is perfect and the GPS locks within 5 to 15 seconds. At other times not only does it not lock but no satellites at all appear in a satellite viewer window. WHen I say no satellites I mena not even a satellite with no signal but none at all.
2. I disabled the downloading and the GPS still works erratically. Sometimes it gets a lock after a few minutes whereas at other times it will spend 20 minutes with a clear sky and despite receiving a strong signal on some 9 satellites it fails to lock.
I've been using the iPAQ GPS for about two years without any problems at all and was very happy with it until about 2 weeks ago when it developed this problem.
Here is what I have done over the summer to ease the situation.
Downloaded and installed Mortscript. I use this to set the comms port to select either the internal AGPS or Bluetooth. (Note. I can't get it to select the Bluetooth profile, only remind me to select it. I also don't know how to automatically de select the bluetooth profile. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.)
Upgraded the Quick GPS version to 2.03 and disabled the POI's.
Using Tom Tom version 5.21 and bluetooth, operation is flawless.
Using Tom Tom version 5.21 and internal GPS limited tests seem to indicate it does work OK
Using Tom Tom version 6 (free download), again with QGPS version 2.03 and the POI's disabled, operation is OK....except, there has to be an except doesn't there! Occasionally the screen will lock up. Voice instructions continue as normal. This seems to be more prevalent with the internal GPS, presumably due to the extra processing needed. The fix is to start and then stop another function. I start contacts as it is on a hardware button. The reason is allegedly due to slow memory card access times. As of yet I have not tried a faster card.
Posted on Oct 03, 2008
With ref to the downloaded files. There are 5 sets of files on the server.
2 Day version 2
7 Day Version 2
All of the above appear to be updated once per hour although none of them now seem to work for me with Global Locate's version 1.19 software. There is also a 10 day version which seems not to be updated any more. There are notes on the internet that explain how to edit the registry to make the software point to an appropriate area for the correct file. If you are pointing to the 10 day version it might be possible to point at the 2 or 7 day versions and recover the situation. There are only two lines to edit but bear in mind all the warnings about editing the registry
Posted on Apr 01, 2008
I have the same problem and I'm very surprised in understand that several HP6515 are affected! I suppose that the problem could be the failure in the A-GPS (Assisted GPS) system by Global Locate after March 2008. Probably, the all QuickGP versions (I have the 1.20 in my HP6515) are unable to "offer" correct information to A-GPS and, in consequence of that, the internal receiver does not start at all! Indeed, VisualGPS does not reveal GPS receiver when tomtom does not fix satelites.
Now, I tried the Quick GPS Connection Factory reset (1) Tap > Settings > Connections >Quick GPS Connection 2) Tap the About tab. 3) Tap the Advanced... button 4) Tap the Factory Reset button) and I done as the first time the satelite fixing, after update QuickGPS data. At to the present, the GPS is still working after 3 day..but I don't know if it could be a solution!
Posted on Oct 03, 2008
I have found this topic very helpfull. I have been on various PDA,GPS bloggs etc and no one has a solution. Does any one know how I update the version. I am using V1.19 and as someone posted when I download the files everything works fine for the first 12 hrs. I then come to use it the next day and I can not get a lock and I get an error message stating 'no gps device'. I understand that updating to V2+ will not solve this problem but I hope it will improve my current situation of driving for an hour without getting a lock!!!!!!
Please pick this subject it seems a big problem with little info?
Posted on Jun 05, 2008
Does anyone have any other updates to this problem?
Has anyone tried contacting either TOMTOM or HP tech support?
Any help would be greatly appreciated?
Posted on May 14, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 04, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Mar 09, 2011 | HTC Touch P3450 Smartphone
Mar 06, 2011 | Garmin nuvi 255W GPS Receiver
Sep 09, 2008 | HP iPAQ Bluetooth GPS Navigation
Jun 11, 2008 | Garmin nuvi 350 GPS Receiver
Oct 24, 2007 | HP iPAQ hw6515 Pocket PC
Jul 29, 2007 | HP iPAQ hw6515 Pocket PC
Mar 28, 2007 | HP iPAQ h6320 Pocket PC
1,129 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!