Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
There are 3 possible reason for this problem:-
(A). Solder points are distorted or no longer contact the CPU (and/or the GPU) to the motherboard
(B). Your hard drive could be loosely connected or became unconnected
(C). Your power cord is spent
Here is what you should do:
1. If it's still under Purchase Warrenty, send it to Sony for free. You can request your free service at this link and click on Support.
2. Unplug the ps3. Remove the small HDD cover and undo the Blue screw. Lift up the wire tab and slide the HDD towards the front of the system to dismount it. Careful not to pull / push too hard as it may smack the side of the inner-wall when it comes loose, though it would take a pretty hard impact to damage the ps3 hard drive. Pull it out and blow all the dust out of it. Slide it back in and put the Blue screw back in. Try now.
3. Call your local GameStop and ask if they have any Used Power cords. If they do, take your ps3 with you and leave it in the car, walk in to the shop and ask them if it's okay to bring it into the shop to test the Used Power Cord. If they say okay, give it a shot and that's a possible $20 fix.
4. Look up your local business directory and look for a video game hobby shop (a very generic way to describe the shops) as a lot of them will repair your system locally, MUCH faster, won't FORMAT your hard drive! and for less than HALF the price Sony would charge! Better yet, this money is "locally spent" so it would help your local economy much more then Sony would :)
5. If you're experienced with repairing electronics you could attempt it yourself as there's only 1 challenging step, and the rest is just time-consuming. (not recommended!)
6. If all else fails, www.us.playstation.com and click support... request service... describe the problem... send them $180. They will mail you a plain carboard looking box with instructions and all packaging essentials. You would then need to take it to a local UPS store to ship it off to sony (prepaid in the $180), and wait for it to come back to your house. They will either repair or replace your system and will not tell you which it'll be til you get the receipt back with your system.
Good Luck and have a nice day.
rating the solution is highly appreciated.
Posted on Apr 30, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 27, 2013 | LG Lsb316 Sound Bar With Wireless...
May 21, 2013 | Televison & Video
Mar 09, 2013 | Televison & Video
Feb 20, 2013 | Insignia 200W Stereo Receiver
Oct 31, 2012 | KLH Televison & Video
Jun 18, 2012 | Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-27FV310 27" TV
May 06, 2012 | Audio Players & Recorders
Sep 16, 2011 | Samsung Televison & Video
The unit fails to operate properly. Press [POWER] on the main unit to switch the unit to
standby. Now press [POWER] on the main unit again to turn the unit on.
Jun 10, 2011 | Panasonic DMRES30V DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
May 12, 2008 | Sony DAV-FC8 System
130 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!