Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
This is due to a spindle motor problem, the bearing in these motors wear out rather prematurely, the spindle motor is the motor that spins the disc once it is inserted. If this motor does not reach the predetermined speed then the units pickup lens can not read the TOC (Table of Contents). It can also be caused by a weak or bad pickup lens (Laser) the easiest way to rapair this problem is to have the mech assembly replaced, the assembly comes with the spindle mtr, stepper motor, and laser pickup it is a complete assembly.
Posted on Apr 29, 2010
try the steps below. Its from PlayStation Forum:
1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
The current Recovery Menu supports:
• Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
• Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
• Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
• Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
• Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
• System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
If the above steps still does not solve the problem, then I think will have to update your Ps3.
Update your PS3 (in the settings menu the 1st option).
Go on the internet browser on the PS3 then go on the menu press triangle then on one of them there are delete cookies and the delete the others as well as cookies.
You could also try this as well: put the PS3 on then press the eject button (with no disc in) then hold it and switch the PS3 off at the back with your finger on the eject button still holding it, then put it back on and the fan test should be working this may cool it down. It might be over heating.
If after trying the above options and it still does not solve the problem, then maybe the lens is weak and that's why it cannot read any disc.
But if your problem is not still solved, then maybe you should call sony for further assistance.
Posted on Apr 29, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 27, 2011 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Nov 19, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Feb 22, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Oct 19, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Sep 19, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Aug 16, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Mar 12, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Oct 18, 2008 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Mar 13, 2008 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
45 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!