Question about Kenmore Dryers
There are a lot of items that can cause a no heat condition on a gas dryer. Best to follow a step by step testing procedure to isolate the issue.
Here are items to check. You will need an ohm meter to perform some of these tests.
1. Make sure the gas is turned on to the appliance.
2. Remove the back cover of the dryer. In the center bottom is a small skinny white ceramic device, held on with one screw.
Remove one of the wires, and check it with an ohm meter. It should show zero ohms of resistance. If not, it is defective, and needs replaced. This device on your brand causes 80 to 90% of all no heat problems.
3. As well, there are 3 or 4 other thermostats in the area, either round or rectangular, with 2 wires going to them. Check all of them if needed. They should all check zero ohms.
4. To check the igniter, you will have to remove the front panel. A tutorial follows, on how to do that.
Locate the gas valve, on the left side. Follow it forward, you will see the 2 wires on a plug, and at the tip of the burner tube, the igniter itself. Unplug, and check the igniter leads. It should read about 20 to 30 ohms. if not, it has burned out and needs replaced.
5. On the gas valve itself, are 2 black coils, held on with a 2 screw bracket. They can fail, but cannot be tested with a meter. If they are bad, the heating system will light the igniter, and shut down without firing the gas. All components must be in place to perform this test.
That covers 99.5% of all issues. There are others, such as the timer, heat selector switch, centrifugal switch in the main motor, but are extremely rare.
The tutorial below is not about heat trouble shooting, but is supplied to show how to gain access to the front of the machine.
This is what the thermal fuse looks like. Common failure item, along with the ignitor.
Posted on Apr 28, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 19, 2010 | Kenmore 77632 Gas Dryer
Jan 24, 2010 | Kenmore 63942 Dryer
Oct 05, 2009 | Kenmore 73952 Gas Dryer
May 07, 2009 | Whirlpool LGR3624JQ Gas Dryer
Mar 03, 2009 | Kenmore 63942 Dryer
Aug 12, 2008 | Kenmore 63942 Dryer
Jun 04, 2008 | Dryers
171 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: