I realize that computer hardware is very sensitive to any sort of electricity. I know that even static electricity can burn up a computer. However Ill tell you my story anyhow.
My friends and I went down to Florida one summer for a wedding. We had brought my buddy's stereo which we had rigged up to a dolly and a car battery so we could have some loud tunes down on the beach. We had planned on hooking my ipod up via 3.5 jack to RCA adapter cable to the stereo and having our music on that. It worked all week until the last two days. Anytime you picked the iPod up, a small bit of current would go through your hand. Just enough to give you that funny feeling. I told my friend who owned the stereo and he picked it up and it shocked him and when he put it down it hit the metal support of the dolly and it quit working.
Could it be saved from hooking up to a 120V power source or is it dead?
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The flat bar strip connectors you see on the end of the Flat Flex Cable, line up with matching contact pins in the motherboard's connector.
The cable MUST go back in the SAME position, as it was installed originally. For this reason, you may wish to make a mark on one side of the Keyboard Cable; and a matching mark on the same side of the motherboard connector. (Fine line Sharpee?)
The motherboard connector for the Keyboard Cable, is a type of ZIF connector. Zero Insertion Force.
It is composed of TWO rectangular pieces, but does NOT come completely apart.
The bottom part is the larger of the two. It is Stationary to the motherboard. This is the BODY. The upper part is smaller, and is Movable. It is the Locking Bar.
IF, the motherboard connector is broken, you are looking at MOTHERBOARD REPLACEMENT; and why I am being so detailed.
There are 3 styles of motherboard connector presently being used;
1) Pull out/Push in. This style has no Locking Bar to unlock (Open) Do NOT believe your Aspire One uses this style.
It was probably just static electricity. Sometimes the body build up static electricity by just walking on a carpet or from friction of the clothes being worn. He then got the shock when he somehow grounded himself.
I have yet to see a laptop that plugs directly into the mains - they mostly use an inline power supply to reduce the voltage, usually between 12 volts and about 20 volts and this is the highest voltage the actual computer needs. The screen might need more but that will be generated internally.
A particularly sensitive person can feel voltages as low as 20 but most folk need around 40 volts before it can be felt. The power light is an led requiring a voltage of between 0.8 and possibly as much as 2.8.
In theory it would be impossible for you to receive an electric shock from your laptop and even if the power supply had become leaky which could make metal components "live", the light and the surrounding material is made of insulating plastic material. If the laptop is running on the battery this possibility is eliminated.
You can check for the presence of shock-level voltage there by using a neon mains tested screwdriver or an analogue multimeter with the black probe connected to ground. If no voltage is found to be leaking around the light the answer might be a static discharge...
This could be either some sort of software issue or perhaps a hardware issue. It sounds like the monitor connector could be loose. If you know someone who would be able to check the internal connection (safely, without damaging the computer) that would be a great place to start. Anytime you open a computer you must be very careful and do so at your own risk. Ensure that the power is disconnected and the battery is removed, most parts are static sensitive. So, it would be best done by someone who knows what they are doing.
1) Did you use an ESD wrist strap, and connect the alligator clip to a good ground? (Electro Static Discharge)
Your body carries Static electricity. Static will fry out, (Short Circuit) the hardware components in a computer. You may not even see it, or feel it. Your computer will. POOF! No computer, expensive door stop.
Static is generated by the movement of your clothes as you walk, or move around. Static is generated when you walk across a carpet floor. Static is generated by touching an object that contains static electricity, and the charge is passed onto you. Just some of the ways static is generated in your body. (Or passed onto your body)
I connect the alligator clip to the metal frame of an empty desktop computer case. Better method is to connect to an ESD anti-static mat. (A little unnecessary IMHO)
A Processor is the most susceptible hardware component to static shock.
2) If Anti-Static Precautions were observed, perhaps take a look at this pictorial disassembly guide, and see if you can remember anything you may have omitted. Perhaps a cable didn't get hooked up. Granted it's for an Aspire 4530, but should be the same in disassembly.
A) Remove all electrical sources; The AC adapter (Charger) and the Battery.
B) Obtain a multi-compartment container for the screws you will remove. There are screws which look alike, but aren't. You won't realize the mistake until you have the screw in halfway, it is then stuck, and CAN'T remove it. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling all over.
You can use a clean egg carton in a pinch. Label each egg holder for what area the various screws came out of.
C) Suggest you buy, and wear an ESD wrist strap. (Electro Static Discharge) They cost from $3 to $8. The area you are going into is relatively safe from static shock, as there are no hardware components that are nearby, and prone to Static shock, BUT, it never hurts to be safe.
Static WILL fry out (Short Circuit) the hardware components of a computer, (Laptop or Desktop) You probably won't see it, or feel it.
Connect the alligator clip to a good ground source. I connect to the metal frame of an empty desktop computer case.
D) I don't find a Service and Maintenance Guide on HP Support, but the information from this link should do very nicely,
Aug 07, 2009 - OK, I found the answer...there was a problem with the updated Windows service pack. I had to uninstall all applications(even in recycle bin) of all previous service packs including the new service pack 3. Then, went to Windows update and reinstalled the service pack 3 only and after installation, my ipod came to life! It was beautiful....Must be a compliant problem with the packs...I don't know!
1.I would like you to go to this website, and review the disassembly of the Toshiba M35X laptop. It has written instructions and photos. You can enlarge any photo by clicking on it. I suggest you click on the blue underlined link, "A few things to know before you start taking your laptop apart", at the start of this, first. http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaM35X/satM35X_1.htm (At the bottom of the page you will see -> Page 1:: Page 2:: Page 3:: <- , You are on Page 1. Just click on 2 and 3)
Things to know from a tech, in case you may not be aware. The hardware components inside a computer, (Laptop or desktop), are VERY sensitive to Static electricity. Your body carries Static. Static, will burn out the delicate hardware computer components, in a New York minute! You won't see it or feel it!
You may have observed the correct procedure, of donning an ESD wrist strap, and connecting it to a good ground before you started. (ElectroStatic Discharge) (I connect to an empty desktop computer case. I connect the alligator clip right to the metal frame. You can buy an inexpensive ESD wrist strap for about $7 from Radio Shack, and computer stores)
DID the other person?
The processor, is the most suceptibile computer hardware component, to static shock. POOF, and it's Gone! Let's say the laptop starts up. Did you clean the top of the processor off, and the bottom of the heatsink, and apply new fresh thermal paste? If it uses a thermal pad, these are junk. Without applying new thermal paste, the processor could burn up in no time!
I'm willing to bet you did an excellent job, but if the laptop was mishandled by the other person?
2.The AC adapter (Charger) has an output of 19 volts. 3.42 Amps It puts out 65 watts. The AC adapter plug, must fit securely in the DC Power Jack on the laptop. The middle pin for any laptop is the Positive connection. The outer metal shell is the Negative connection. Both of those connections have to be connected, with no looseness.
What was the issue in the first place? Was it the DC Power Jack? Was there an intermittent connection?
It is for this reason, that computer techs and mechanics, do not like to take over where someone left off. My advice would be to hand this laptop back, and state that the laptop was beyond repair, before you got it. You have no idea of how the laptop was treated, before working on it.
All is not a loss however! Look at the knowledge you gained! Most people would not even attempt, what you have done. You are to be commended!