Question about Computers & Internet
How To Make Vista Bootable DVD with WIM Downloaded Files
you have purchased Windows Vista online and taken the delivery of the
latest operating system via web download from Windows Marketplace, you
would ends up with a few downloads with .wim and .exe file extensions.
Rather than paying additional shipping and handling charges, you can
burn or create a bootable ISO DVD image from downloaded Vista files
with the following trick, where the .iso image can subsequently write
to a DVD. The DVD created will be the typical 32-bit Windows Vista DVD
that available in retail channel, and can be used to clean install.
How to make a bootable Windows Vista ISO DVD media
1. Put all 3 downloaded files (namely install.wim, boot.wim and an executable X13-49120.exe) in the same folder (for this tutorial, let’s assume the files are put on C:\ else you need to modify the path accordingly).
2. Run the X13-49120.exe executable. Windows Vista Setup Preparation will create a new folder “Vista” inside the folder and will populate the folder with all necessary Vista setup files which takes up about 2.52 GB disk space.
3. Exit from the Install Windows screen.
4. Download CDimage 2.52
5. Extract CDimage from CDimage.zip to the C:\ root directory.
6. Open a command prompt shell, and run the following command:
cdimage.exe -lVISTA_EN_DVD -m -u2 -bC:\Vista\boot\etfsboot.com C:\Vista\ C:\Vistax86.iso
Bootable Windows Vista x86 DVD ISO image in UDF format will be created as vistax86.iso in C:\ or any folder you specified above.
7. Burn the newly create ISO with a CD/DVD burning software such as Nero or Alcohol 120%. Try to burn at low speed (i.e. 4X) and turn on verification to ensure that the DVD creation is fine.
Create a Windows Vista ISO image and DVD with Oscdimg
Another possible way to create a bootable Vista ISO and DVD is by using Oscdimg CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility, available via WinPE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) via Business Desktop Deployment 2007 or Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK)
1. Complete step 1 - 3 as above.
2. In the command prompt window, run the following command:
oscdimg -bC:\Vista\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lVISTA_EN_DVD C:\Vista\ C:\VistaDVD.iso
A VistaDVD.iso UDF DVD image will be created and can be used to boot the computer from DVD to install Vista.
3. Burn the ISO image file by using last step above.
Posted on Mar 24, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 14, 2012 | Computers & Internet
Dec 24, 2011 | Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate for PC
May 21, 2010 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with...
May 07, 2010 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with...
Oct 11, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with...
Aug 02, 2009 | Computers & Internet
May 05, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Jan 17, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with...
Sep 09, 2008 | Acer Computers & Internet
777 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!