Question about GE JE1460 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Metal pot ok, I have a ge microwave. worked fine, until my 8 year old decided to cook top roman in a heavy duty metal pot. now it smells funny. still heats water. but is it safe to use or should i just buy a new one?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,820 Answers

The magnetron may have gotten overheated. This could very well shorten its life.

Of course one should never leave a microwave unattended while it's running, but this rule is even more important for this oven now.

I would just use it as normal but keep an eye on it. If it clears up, good news. If it gets worse, then please reply back and let us know what your new symptoms are.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Mar 30, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Kenmore Elite countertop microwave model 721.79153010 has no power, completely stopped working.


has an internal fuse. but you need to find out why it has blown, has it been making any funny sounds while cooking. ??

Mar 09, 2014 | Kenmore Elite 1.5 Cu. Ft. Countertop...

Tip

DANGER WARNING! Potential Hazard if your microwave was working and now doesn't...


If you have this model microwave and it was working fine, then one day it stopped heating items placed inside there are a handful of different issues that could be the problem. In my case it was intermittent, over a period of a few days it would sometimes work (heat) and sometimes not. NO MATTER if this is what your's is doing or if it stopped heating all together. If you decide to let it dry out, or not use it for a while to see if it was a one time occurrence, or whatever the reason, the first time you put something in and probably for the next 10 times at least (this assumes it starts to work again), make sure you are right there with it while it is cooking. Don't assume you can put something in, go do something and come back when the timer is beeping. There is a chance (as this happened to me) that your food inside will CATCH FIRE! Normal food item placed inside, no metal, nothing different than the numerous times before when this had been cooked but when we smelled smoke we came running. Fortunately it started and finished inside the microwave but that's not a guarantee, it could spread. Play it safe. Never had a problem like this before and never heard of a microwave cooking something until it caught on fire (especially since the time entered for the cook was 30 seconds) but it did.

on Sep 23, 2013 | GE JVM1850SMSS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I microwaved a steel teapot microwave still works but smells funny when I use .Is it safe?


You may have overheated the microwave or waveguide area.

If there's no obvious damage, you can still use it until such time that it develops heating trouble or other issues.

This assumes of course that you never leave the oven unattended while cooking, as every owner's manual warns against.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Oct 14, 2011 | GE JVM1790SK Convection/Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Our microwave has stopped working for the second time in two years. When you try to heat something, it hums but not quite like it is heating. There is also a funny smell.


SAFTY FIRST

UN -PLUG IT,,,,, THAT "FUNNY SMELL" SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SHORTING OUT
PERHAPS THE MEGATRON HAS GONE BAD, THE MEGATRON IS THE
HEART OF ANY MICROWAVE
AS A EX- FIREMAN, I KNOW FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE THAT
"A FUNNY SMELL " OR " UN-USUALL SMELL COMING FROM AN ELECTRICAL
ITEM IS A SIGN OF DANGER

Feb 05, 2011 | GE Profile Spacemaker JVM1871 Microwave...

1 Answer

GE Microwave/ Convection Cooking Center microwave plate turns seems to be functioning but smells funny and food is not heating... is it toast or worth having a repair guy out? is it even possible to buy...


well the cost of replacing so as it all works together is a decisoion I cannot make for you. But as they share common controls these things have a way of becoming bigger problems down the track. I would call the distributor for A quote on repair before deciding to ditch it.

I would think that the funny smell is the melting of a componenent or breakdown of a capacitor or even the wiring on the main motor of the unit. No repairs of this type are ever dirt cheap, so you have to weigh up thye age of the units the covenience and todays value of replacement. If it is a FUSION problem it may well be claimable on your home insurance so explore that avenue as well

Hope this is helpful to your making a decision


Aug 27, 2009 | GE JVM1790 Convection / Microwave Oven

2 Answers

GE microwv-doesn't heat, strong electrical smell, all else ok


The most common problem would be your magnetron. Check your purchase date, magnetron's usually have a five year warranty. Not a part I recomend trying to fix yourself (high voltage ).

Mar 11, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sensor Error, Funny Smell and Noise


On GE models, "SENSOR ERROR" appears on the display when:
  • Using the sensor feature, the door was opened before steam could be detected. Do not open the door until stream is sensed and time is shown counting down on the display.
  • Steam was not detected in the maximum amount of time. Use Time Cook to heat for more time.
If none of these conditions apply to your situation, then you may have a defective sensor and/or magnetron.

The first thing I would suggest is a hard reset. Unplug the unit for a minute or so. Then plug it back in, set the clock and try again.

If that doesn't work, leave it unplugged for maybe an hour. Then let us know if the hard reset does not fix it.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Sep 02, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Microwave does not heat.


The magnetron is the device that puts out the heat. In these units, that's the most common cause of a failure to heat. BUT - many of these units are subject to a campaign under which GE will replace the magnetron, stirrer and high voltage diode free. Check the bulletin to see if yours is covered: http://www.microwavedisplay.com/ge_mw_mag_kit_bulletin.jpg Even if yours is not covered by the bulletin, it may have coverage of the magnetron. If you have questions, call GE Customer Relations at 1-800-386-1215 (8-6 ET)

May 03, 2007 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE JVM1190 microwave oven light comes on, but no the FAN or "microwaves"


If it were just just not cooking, I would suspect the magentron. But since the fan is also not working, I think you have a bad door switch. If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety and disassembly info at our site, as well as other specific troubleshooting information and help. In my professional opinion, no one should work on a microwave unless they are fully informed and aware of the deadly hazards and necessary precautions. You can find safety and disassembly text files (as well as a text file which helps in diagnosing and repairing door switch problems) at http://www.microwavedisplay.com You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383

Apr 08, 2007 | GE JVM1190 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JE1460 Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

133 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...