Question about GE Microwave Ovens
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Thanks for making your post very detailed and including the model number. That really helps! :)
With the symptoms you have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier diode or a bad magnetron.
The diode is a fairly easy & cheap do-it-yourself fix, and the mag will cost more.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html (if it's not shorted, it's probably okay)
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Dec 13, 2008
1.Check power outlet for working.
2.If it is than you have broken fuse inside the m/w.
3. To change the fuse you have to disconnect the power to m/w, take the upper grill off, take the screw on top of control panel, lift the control panel up and removed. The 20 Am fuse located behind this panel.
Posted on Dec 15, 2008
SOURCE: Everything works except heat
this is something you should probably call a repair technician for, due to the danger of the componentry.
Usually in ther case of this problem, even a technician will advise you to replace the unit, in the minds of cost effectiveness and safety...
Posted on Mar 21, 2009
it sounds to me like the magnetron is shot in it. this is the part that creates the heat. not worth repairing on a 10 year old unit. Sorry.
Posted on Nov 08, 2009
Testimonial: "Thank you great fast advice"
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 11, 2012 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Aug 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....
Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
Nov 17, 2010 | GE JVM1630 Microwave Oven
Sep 18, 2010 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...
Aug 31, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jan 15, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Oct 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Sep 09, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jan 20, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jan 06, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
57 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!