My mum has a MFC-215C brother printer and we both not really in all the know how of computers, recently on the LCD screen it said "unable to clean" i read the book and followed everything step by step and still nothing. i found your website and followed another step by step thing which said it should fix the problem but instead of that i now have machine error46 on the screen after going through alot more websites and reading i still can't seem to find and explaination of what it is or how i can try to fix it myself. please help us.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: machine error 46
Waist ink absorber box is fed up with ink.
I guess you had some prob with some color not working anymore before.
You need a new waist ink absorber box which you can buy from a service partner near your home (see www.brother.com choose your country).
When you have got it go to http://www.hstt.net/refill-faq/inside.html#Brother_mfc215c and use the pics to open the printer.
DO REPLACE THE BOX BEFOR DOING THE EEPROM RESET! Otherwise you will seriously demage the printer and the furniture below because of leaking ink!
When replaced the box you have to reset the eeprom by pressing quickly one after another:
menu then start bk-copy then fourtimes arrow-up to get to the mmainteneance mode. press 8 then 0 (zero) then several times start-bk-copy til PURGE 64xx on display. press then 2-7-8-3 (display will be PURGE 0000) then STOP button then 9 then 9. Machine will come up in normal state.
Thanksssss!!!!!!!!! it really helps a alotttt!!!!! thanksssssssss!!!! love you!!!!!! i'll be back here next time!!!!! how calm you have this solution but brother's website don't have? but anyway thankssss!!!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Error 46 means one or both of the ink purging (happens each time the printer cleans itself) counters have exceeded the maximum level. This is supposed to require new ink absorber boxes/pads to be fitted to the machine, but there is a way around this.
If you search YouTube for your printer model, you will find videos on how to reset these counters. You run the risk of the waste ink overflowing, but this is very rare.
The machine has a mechanical problem or a foregn obstacle, such as ripped paper.
unplug electric cord and power on with your finger on MENU button, till you see "MAINTENANCE"
on screen, then release MENU button and dial 82
so you see something like
"machine error" and 2 digits of error code
if there is 46 error code if have to replace the ink absorber box and reset the purge counter to zero.
which error there is?
1) Enter machine maintenance mode (on MFC210C all four photo/copy/fax/scan lights flash in maintenance mode). Care is needed in maintenance mode, otherwise critical settings may be inadvertently corrupted.
FAX models with numerical keypads: Press the Menu/Set, *, 2, 8, 6 and 4 keys within two seconds. (if you fail to complete the correct key sequence within two seconds, press the Stop key to try again).
Other (non-FAX) models: Press the Menu/Set and Black Start keys. Next press the “up arrow” key four times to enter the maintenance mode).
2) Press the 8 then 0 keys in the initial stage of the maintenance mode to call up the machine's log information list (function code 80).
3) Press the Black Start key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the purge counter. The purge counter is the 25th item in the list.
4) Press the 2, 7, 8, and 3 keys in this order to reset the purge count to zero.
5) Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode.
6) Press the 9 key twice to return to the standby state.
All The Best: Pineworks