Unit stopped working halway thru cooking function. All keypad functions work including timer but when start press, there is a click and then nothing. There is a small barrel fuse in line from the power in cord but it seems fine and if it was gone unit would not work at all correct?? is ther another fuse for the MAgnetron or is it possible the magnetron is dead. unit is about 10 years old.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: GE JEM31LWS Microwave.
Yes, the fuse being bad would kill the unit totally.
Do the fan and inside light work when you try to cook?
If so, then the problem is in the high voltage section.
If not, then the problem is most likely a door switch or mount issue or possibly a problem on the control board.
Generally, the most common causes of a failure to heat are:
- bad door switches or door switch mounts - loose connection at the magnetron - problem or loose connection on the control unit circuit board - bad magnetron or other high voltage part (such as a shorted diode)
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
If you think the problem is on the control panel, we repair these nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in most cases.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
either the magnatron fried , or the fuse fried... either way the microwve has to be taken down and opened up. If you have the serial number , GE will send you a replacement magnatron (but will not service the unit for you). contact GE and they will take care of you... the magnatrons are warranted for like 10 years....
Check whether there is a proper power supply. Look to see whether the cord is connected to a grounded 3-prong outlet and the cord is fully plugged in. If the electrical system is built-in and no power cord is visible, replace or reset the household fuse or circuit breaker.
Some basic microwave operational steps may affect whether the microwave is heating. Open and close the microwave door, as the unit will not function with the door open, and push "Stop/Clear" to cancel any previous settings, such as the timer, which do not heat the microwave oven.
Setting the Microwave
Once the power to the microwave has been reset, or verified as working, and the microwave is ready to run, select a new cook cycle and press "Start" to see if the microwave begins to run and cook food as expected. Allow the food to cook for the alloted time and then open the microwave door and check to see if the food has cooked or heated. Choose a longer cooking time and restart the microwave if food is heating but is cooking slowly.
If all efforts to troubleshoot the function and power to the microwave still do not get the appliance heating food as expected, there may be a repair issue that needs to be addressed. Contact professional technician for advice.
if everything works except the heating, it is most likely the mag tube is on its way out.........that is the most common reason for it not too cook.......since the microwave is a GE and it is 3.5 years old, i would say you are better off buying a new microwave, the mag tube starts at around $70.00 and up + the labor it costs too have a service person put it in........around another $60.00