Question about Dell Inspiron 2200 Notebook

1 Answer

Connection overheating When on, my laptop power connection overheats when plugged in. (The adaptor into the laptop gets so hot that it is almost too hot to touch) Also the screen will go black after a few minutes of use, and will only come back if lid is closed for a few minutes. If I unplug it, and then use it - it operates fine. Do I need to replace the connection and/or the adaptor?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Dell Master
  • 19,396 Answers

If it is the external adapter that is overheating and stopping after a while yes, replace it immediately. Fact that power adaptor is overheating means that there is a short inside the adaptor, this may damage the laptop, then change it as soon as possible.
If the laptop itself is overheating, check if the cpu fan is working, and eventually replace it.

regards

Posted on Mar 19, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

My samsung RV511 laptop seems to be overheating a lot. Whenever the computer is under a heavy load it just shuts off. I bought 2 different cooling mats and they do not help. It is to the point now that...


Check the cooling fan at the bottem of the laptop see if is working ,also use a can of compressed air and blow out the fan give it a thorough cleaning if need you might have to replace the fan .If you will supply me with a model number I will get instructions on how to disassemble to put in a new fan

Sep 07, 2011 | Computers & Internet

1 Answer

My computer suddenly quit working. The power just went off


The most common reasons for that are

1. power adaptor or battery isn't working - power problem. Some laptops require the battery to be in the machine even when it's running of the adaptor. If it runs out of 'juice' it will just go off suddenly.

2. overheating - It can get full of dust and dander and overheat the cpu which will also cause the machine to go off suddenly. It shuts off to protect the cpu from burning up. Sometimes if they get hot enough it can still take out the cpu... If the cpu fan stops working it will also overheat.

3. Control Panel - Power settings - check to see if there's a timer set to turn it off after so long etc.

Jul 08, 2011 | Fujitsu LifeBook A1110 Notebook

1 Answer

Dc jack of labtop getting vey hot


A common weak spot on most laptops is the DC power jack. If someone trips on the wire while you have the power adaptor plugged into your laptop, chances are that the power jack will get damaged.
On most laptops the DC power jack is soldered directly to the motherboard and there are only three or four small pins holding it in place. Unfortunately that makes the power jack quite weak. Any sideways pulling of the DC power cord while attached to the laptop will usually dislodge at least one of these pins, breaking the solder around it. Modern laptops use quite a lot of power, from about 70W to 120W or even more. The bad electrical connection from the dislodged pin will cause sparks and heating that will eventually burn a hole through the motherboard and can even be a fire hazard.

The usual signs of that are:
  • The battery is not charging properly or stays at half charge despite that you have been using the power adaptor.
  • The screen flickers (the brightness is changing) while the power cord is plugged in. This is caused by the laptop switching between DC power (screen is brighter) and battery power (screen is dimmer).
  • The DC plug gets hot after a few minutes of use and may even smell of burning.
  • There are "scratching" sounds coming from the DC jack.
You need to take the unit apart and check/resolder the DC jack on the system board.

If I could be of further assistance, let me know. If this helps or solves the issue, please rate it and give a testimonial for my response

Thanks, Joe

Feb 15, 2011 | Computers & Internet

3 Answers

When I was turning on my laptop after 5 mins. my laptop turning off on its self. I need your advice solution.


When the laptop shuts down and you can't boot up until it has cooled down, then your notebook could have an overheating problem. The CPU shuts down when it overheats (thermal shutdown) and if this problem is not fixed the the CPU will eventually fail.
The overheating problem could be caused by a faulty CPU fan or the fan and hear sink assembly is clogged with dust.
Check the CPU fan and if is does not spin freely then it needs to be replaced. If the fan and heat sink is clogged with dust, then remove the dust, you can also use a can of compressed air to clear the dust from the heat sink fins.

Nov 21, 2010 | Optima Centrino Notebook 680009100170

1 Answer

My notebook loses wireless signal after while and comes up with error on adaptor when look at it in devise manager uninstall it and restart re installs it again works fine for short while does it again and...


This could be the issue ( overheating) but the wireless adapter may need a driver update from the manufactures site.
2. Your wireless connection can be affected by several things such as cordless telephones, digital tv signals, Try moving the router to another place about 20 ft away from any digital device or walls. See if the wireless improves if not then you laptop may need service. Installing the wireless over and over is not the answer. You may need updated drivers as mention earlier.

Aug 09, 2010 | Advent Netbook

1 Answer

Power pack connection problem


Ok, you need to obtain another PSU, or you run the risk of ruining your laptop for good. I suspect, the cable,where it goes into, the socket, is fractured. In any event you DO need a correctly fitting adapter. Laptops can run very very hot, I personally experience that frequently. If at all worried, get a "Laptop Cooler Pad" they are an inexpensive."Tray" the laptop sits in, that has extra cooling fans to cool the entire thing down, they work very well. As for any adapter getting hot, they all do get quite hot, always ensure that a clear flow of air is all round the PSU, too.

Apr 15, 2010 | Computers & Internet

1 Answer

Hello heres my problem the power cord tip gets so hot and burns even ive replaced the battery ive replaced the cord and the tip and its stil happening help please


Seems that your notebook's power socket, where you plug the power cord, is damaged & is causing a loose connection. The loose connection causes the power socket as well as the power cord's tip to overheat & burn.

Oct 30, 2009 | Compaq Presario M2000 Notebook

1 Answer

I have a Acer Aspire desktop PC. I am running


It shouldn't get hot. Warm, perhaps, but not HOT.

One of two things are wrong:
There is a problem with the power regulator on the USB adaptor
0r
The antenna circuitry is not in match (impedence mismatch) with the rf amplifier and the rf amplifier is overheating.

If other units plugged into your USB port(s) do not overheat, I would think that rules out a problem with the PC.

Mar 05, 2009 | Acer 91.AB370.001 Network Adapter

3 Answers

Overheating problem


With all respect for the repairman, he must have been a bit confused.
The only lamp inside a laptop is the one behind the display, and when it overheats, the laptop does not shut down. The lamp blows and laptop keep working with no picture or dim picture on screen, that is all.
Most common cause for overheating on a laptop is the fan on top of CPU, if it is not working properly or not well adhering to cpu surface, then the laptop will turn off after a while.
When fan is ok,a faulty motherboard or faulty CPU can cause the computer to shut down, no lamp at all in all this, the repairman must have confused your laptop with a laser printer.
Here is a tool to check computer temperature and fan speed, click where it says SpeedFan 4.33. under download.
...if you cannot fix it by yourself I suggest changing repairman...

regards

Mar 19, 2008 | Dell Inspiron 2200 Notebook

1 Answer

Power adaptor connection to Satallite M30 loose


well..that adaptor is in side on the motherboard, which costs around 150.00 to 200 bucks..and two hours of labor, easy for this..

not that far off..

Mar 17, 2008 | Toshiba Satellite M30 Notebook

Not finding what you are looking for?
Dell Inspiron 2200 Notebook Logo

64 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Dell Computers & Internet Experts

Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan

Level 3 Expert

27725 Answers

Les Dickinson
Les Dickinson

Level 3 Expert

18381 Answers

mukhtar21 shaikh
mukhtar21 shaikh

Level 3 Expert

2017 Answers

Are you a Dell Computer and Internet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...