Hi! If you go to the Canon, they have a trouble shooting section. I copied and pasted some information below. Good luck!
Print Friendly Version
How do I transfer video tape recordings to a computer via Firewire?
Transferring video recordings to a computer ZR80, ZR85, and ZR90
Transferring Video Recordings to a Computer
can transfer recordings to a computer using the IEEE1394 (DV) terminal.
With the ZR85 and ZR90 transferring video recordings via USB is not
Before starting the video transferring, make sure to prepare the following:
can use (1) the video editing software that came bundled with your
computer or video capturing board, (2) the video editing software
included with your operating system ("Windows Movie Maker" with Windows
Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows XP and Windows ME,
"iMovie" with Mac OS 9 and later), or (3) video editing software
purchased separately, with features ranging from very basic to very
driver is included with Windows operating systems later than Windows 98
Second Edition and Mac operating systems later than Mac OS 9. The
driver is installed automatically when you connect the camcorder to the
computer. No additional driver is necessary or available.
computer equipped with a IEEE1394 (DV) terminal or a IEEE1394 (DV)
capturing board (the IEEE1394 protocol is frequently also called
"Firewire" or "iLink").
- A DV cable (sold separately)
- Video Editing Software
- Start your computer.
this is the first time you are connecting the camcorder to your Windows
based computer your computer will display the "New Hardware Found"
message while the driver is installed automatically.)
- Set the camcorder to mode.
the camcorder to the computer with the DV cable as shown below. Once
the camcorder and computer are connected together the camcorder will
display "DV IN" on the LCD/viewfinder. This message confirms that the camcorder is ready to receive or transfer video.
- Refer to the instructions for your video editing software to download your video from the camcorder.
Because procedures for digital editing software applications vary
greatly, Canon cannot offer any additional support or suggestions
regarding downloading and editing your video. Please refer to the
software publisher or your computer manufacturer (if the software came
with your computer) for assistance in using the software.
- Operation may not work correctly depending on the software and the specifications/settings of your computer.
the computer freezes while you have connected the camcorder, disconnect
and reconnect the DV cable. If the problem persists, disconnect the
interface cable, turn off camcorder and computer, turn camcorder and
computer back on and reconnect them.
- Before connecting the camcorder to the computer using a DV cable, make sure that camcorder and computer are not connected with a USB cable, and that no other 1394 device is connected to the computer.
- We recommend powering the camcorder from a household power source while it is connected to the computer.
- Refer also to the instruction manual of the computer.
programs ZoomBrowser EX and Image Browser included with the supplied
CD-ROM are intended for use only with images recorded on the memory
- Video recordings on the tape cannot be transferred to the computer using the software included with the supplied CD-ROM.