The power went out in my house today, but once it was fixed, i returned to my pc to smell something like burning plastic. now the pc was won't turn on or off, but has the red battery(?) light glowing. is it the power unit?
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Hi, Chris the answer to this question is way above my pay grade for this situation, I would call or visit my local dealer or reputable shop's service/parts department and inquire about any possible quick fix, answers, or parts inquiry.
Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Quite often, if you smell like a plastic burning smell, one of the capacitors is faulty, and should be checked immediately. Quite often the compressor start capacitor, will get hot and start to melt. Have it checked by qualified technician or electrician, as they are dangerous and can give a fatal shock if not experienced with handling them, even when power is shut off. $20-$30 part, and 1/2hr. labor should take care of it. The cover on roof unit, has to be removed to access the capacitors, so watch for bees, wasps, when you do so. Make sure power is off at breaker panel.
Hi there. The reason you can smell burning plastic and why its shutting down after a short time is because its overheating. This can be caused by a build up of dust on the CPU fan, overtime with dust build up computers struggle to keep themselves cool and tend to shut down unexpectedly, chances are this is the problem with your machine, my advice would be to remove the power cord, open the side panel of the computer and clean all the dust away from inside the tower, do this with a soft, clean paintbrush making sure you remove the dust carefully and gently, also make sure the CPU fan and the heat sync behind it is completely free of dust or any other foreign objects. Once you are happy that its clear of dust, close or return the side panel, plug in the power cord and turn the PC on, you may find that the PC will stay on for longer with the smell dramatically reduced.
Please post back with the results and thanks for using FixYa!!
Your drive belt may have broken if it smelled like rubber burning. If that is the case then your motor bearing are worn out or something has been lodged between your dryer drum and the dryer housing. If the smell was the odor of burning plastic, then your motor is probably burned up.
Well that pop had something to do with the power components inside the TV frying. I would have to say there is nothing you can do to repair it as its dangerous to work on such things. I wouln't waste my time bringing it to a repair shop they will probably tell you to just buy a new one.
You say that Everything went out at first ( which I assume means that all functions went dead) and then functions started to operate again later... if that is correct and you smelled something burning.. you may have a thermal fuse that failed, filament transformer that failed, magnetron tube that failed or a highvoltage capacitor that failed.. None of these components are something the untrained person should attempt to trouble shoot or replace since there are dangerous energies stored inside the electronics compartment even after power is removed.. Your Micro is > 8 years old and it's probably not worth the cost of repairing at this point. You'd be better served replacing it.. The cost to repair would exceed the cost to replace.. ( I feel like the grim reaper here..sorry..)