Question about Icom IC-R10 Handheld Scanner

1 Answer

Battery`s dont last

Hi, my IC-R10 draws a lot of current when use with charger and gets very hot, also with new fresh battery`s it does not last more than a hour even if radio is off. My Email is:

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 2,359 Answers

Warp the batteries in few plastic bags.

Place them in the freezer for 48 hours.

After 48 hrs,it them air out for another 48 hrs,

The expand and contraction may help breaking the salt bridge.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Why won't my van start or spark/turnover

You probably need a new battery. There is not enough capacity to turn the starter (which draws a lot of current); low current-drawing accessories (lights, radio, horn) will still work until the battery is flat out dead.

Mar 04, 2016 | 2003 Honda Odyssey

2 Answers

My samsung laptop charger gets hot and starts to melt when pluged in and powered up and does the same if i take the battery out please helptried a new battery and new charger could it be the jack on the...

I'm unclear however
Does the new charger get too hot? If so the problem is not the charger or the socket.
Does the laptop work with the new charger plugged in but no battery? If so the socket on the laptop is probably ok
Is the actual charger melting or is it just the plug that goes in the laptop that's getting hot, if it is the plug on both chargers then the socket will need repairing or resoldering, they are a weak point, the soldered pins go high resistance and can generate a lot of heat around the plug and socket. Its usually obvious if the socket is faulty because as you move the plug it makes contact intermittently.
DONT USE THE CHARGER THAT'S MELTING and if both are getting hot have the socket repaired.
If only the one charger getting hot the short is probably in the plug on that charger but read on
On a different note the genuine chargers should be over current protected and overheat protected, they should never melt.

May 13, 2014 | Samsung Rv511 Series Laptop Intel I-core...

1 Answer

Hi, I have two IC-R10's in very nice condition. Previous owner passed away several years ago and left the rechargeble batteries inside the units(The contacts had very little corrosion left from the...

  • Hi, I can help.

  • It is very possible that the corrosion could be a little worse than initially thought. Look for unnoticed corrosion and clean the contacts real real well with a pencil eraser.

  • Under the third battery is a switch marked (Charge) OFF/ON. When using the power supplies to power the scanner the switch should be off (pushed to the left). When using batteries the switch should be turned to on (pushed to the right)

  • The internal charger is meant to charge Ni-Cad batteries not Alkaline batteries. If you have Alkaline batteries in the unit then you should never have that switch to on with the power cord plugged in or a charge will be attempted on the Alkaline batteries and they will explode/leak.

  • The problem will be that switch, unnoticed corrosion or the batteries you are using are not good.

  • If you have any comments please feel free to leave them here.
  • Hope this helps and thank you for using FixYa.

Regards, Tony

Aug 29, 2011 | Icom IC-R10 Handheld Scanner

2 Answers

I have a Toshiba L35 Satellite S2174. I lost my power adaptor so started to use a HP adaptor of same 19 V , but Different Current 3.16A. I dont have the current rating of my original charger. The...

Hi Arsalan

To answer your question Its "yes". wrong power/ampere rating can shorten the battery life. I recommend that once you replace the battery include the AC adapter.Thanks

Feb 20, 2011 | Toshiba Satellite L35-S2174...

1 Answer

Battery compartment in my angle finder overheats and battery indicator comes on a brand new set of batteries . why is that? i put a fresh set of batts.and when i turn it on the batteries on the right get...

There is an electronic component that is defective and it draws a lot of current (more than the normal rating) this makes the batteries over heat, if it's new ask for replacement of the tool.


Jan 12, 2011 | Bosch DWM40L Miter Finder Digital...

1 Answer

Unit works w/ the ext power source but will not come on w/ new duracells installed, recharge switch is in the off position. thanks

Hi, my name is John. Welcome to FixYa. Some of these units will not operate with the charger plugged in, check to see if you have all the batteries in the right direction. Thanks for choosing FixYa....John

Nov 29, 2010 | Icom IC-R10 Handheld Scanner

2 Answers

Polaroid one 600 instant camera how to change battery

Change the photo pack. That's where the battery is located, you get a fresh battery with every pack.

Note that all remaining photo packs are now beyond their expiry dates as production ceased last year so many will have flat batteries or batteries with insufficient charge to last for the full ten shots. There's no fix for this: all that can be done is to rig up an external battery pack but there is no standard kit for this so it's very much a DIY project. the camera draws 4.5v and the standard battery was 6v when freshly manufactured.

Nov 13, 2009 | Polaroid One600 Pro Instant Camera

1 Answer

Handset cannot get charge from base

If you have the base unit plugged into an outlet that is drawing a lot of current, then the battery won't be able to get enough current to charge the battery. Plug it into an outlet that doesn't have a lot heavy current use. Televisions, refrigerators, microwave ovens, etc do draw a rather heavy current when in use. Things like a radio, lights, etc don't draw that much. Also make sure that you place the phone on the charger so that the contacts touch. Then the red "charge" light should come on and you will be in business.

Nov 18, 2007 | GE 25932 Cordless Phone

3 Answers

Batteries in my Rino 120 don't last very long

I believe its 3AA's and it SHOULD last 15 hrs of life. You should probably check the terminal heads and clean them real good you might be shorting somewhere in the connection.

Aug 02, 2007 | Garmin Rino 120 2-Way Radio

Not finding what you are looking for?
Icom IC-R10 Handheld Scanner Logo

Related Topics:

102 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Icom Radio Communications Experts


Level 3 Expert

3289 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

17473 Answers


Level 3 Expert

712 Answers

Are you an Icom Radio Communication Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides