Question about Creative Labs Zen Touch MP3 Player
Tried to upgrade my firmware on the zen touch to be able to use it with Vista. Upgrade on XP and with media player 10 as Creative say. However player now only in recovery mode PC does not recognise player, cannot get any firmware to player shows version 0.0.10 on player screen. Any help appreciated
Before preceding, goto control panel, add/remove programs (vista equivalent) select windows media player and uninstall note the response it gives you. If it is going to allow you to uninstall OR downgrade windows media player to version 9 then keep going. If not, then find another computer that you've never used the player on try upgrading firmware there, make SURE it's got windows media player 9 by downgrading it in add/remove programs.
Now for the fun stuff:
Sounds like the same problem I've resolved several times in the past on here.
1. Plug in the device.
2. Goto device manager in control panel and remove the device drivers.
3. Reboot if it asks you to, make sure to unplug the device.
4. Goto device manager again, remove the USB hubs.
5. Don't reboot.
6. Goto control panel, add remove software or equivalent for windows vista ultimate.
7. Select creative labs, and uninstall any and every zen related software.
8. Don't reboot.
9. Goto my computer, find the creative directory located on your main hard drive at \program files\creative. Deleted it completely.
10. Select windows media player select uninstall, or downgrade accordingly.
11. Make sure your zen touch is not plugged in and reboot your system.
12. After system loads, plug in the device and run the firmware software again.
And if you wish, reinstall windows media player 10 and the creative software (which you don't need at all with vista) all the other drivers should reinstall themselves.
BTW it's a hell of alot easier to just use another CPU if you have access to one, I've done it both ways and it saves alot of time.
Posted on Mar 24, 2008
Problem solved: this is what i did, on my existing pc i have a fully updated xp with sp2, no creative software installed, i upgraded wmp9 to wmp10, reboot the machine, connected my zen, it appeared in the device manager. in the devicemanager i went to the properties of the zen and had the drivers updated, then i started ZenTouch_PCFW_L4_1_01_03,exe, got the message that i should connect my zen, closed, started ZenTouchP4S_PCFW_LB_2_11_01.exe and bingo!! the message appeared that i already had this firmware installed, according to my zen (stuck in recovery) i had firmware 0.0.10, updated the firmware anyway and it worked, no need to throw my zen in the wastebin.
Posted on Apr 10, 2008
Can I ask a couple more questions please.
I'm running XP SP2. I have a Zen Touch, model DAP-HD0014. Firmware version is 1.01.03. Application software I have installed on the laptop is 3.20.21 (I also have the .exe for 5.10.38 which I uninstalled 'cos this didn't recognise the device).
So, my questions are:
1. Do I need to upgrade the firmware on the Zen Touch ?
2. Ditto for the driver on the machine ?
3. Ditto for the application itself ?
BTW- I have upgraded to WMP v10 as an aside
Please help! Am getting very srustrated at this stage
Posted on Oct 09, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: creative zen
After three months of trying and trying in many computers, following many, many procedures found all over the Internet, my Creative Nomad has accepted the firmware and has borned again.
What I did?
1. Connected the Nomad on a computer with Windows XP and Windows Media Player 9, that never has been touched by a creaive device.
It recognizes the device but can´t find any update to the drivers,
2. Updated Windows Media Player 9 to Windows Media Player 10,
3. Restart the computer
4. Connect the Nomad and the computer recognizes the device and autamtically search and found updated MPT drivers.
5. Run the firmware update program "ZenXtraP4SAudible_PCFW_LB_2_10_03 (Creative Zen Xtra PlaysForSure Firmware 2.10.03)"
6. Finally the magic button always has been disabled was enabled so start reloading firmware.
And now the Nomad is working in windows vista.
The difference between the computer where the firmware works and the others is that this has never had media player 10 or 11 and never has installed creative drivers.
Hope this can be useful to smoeone, somewhere, sometime.....
Posted on May 20, 2008
I had the same issue after trying to update firmware the PC kept saying the player was not connected, I have copied the reply below from Creative Customer Services on how I fixed this problem. I was lucky that I have access to an old PC that had WMP 10 so I didn't need to mess with my own PC. However, there was some messing about with the instructions to get the fix. My main tip is follow the instructions below, then go to device manager and uninstall the Zen from your USB list, it will probably be flagged with a yellow triangle. Remove it totally and then reinstall the Zen driver, this worked for me after I had taken the steps listed here;
1. Please uninstall all Creative software & Drivers.
2. If WMP 11 is installed, remove it including Media Player 11 runtime
(may require a reboot for each thing).
Go to add/remove programs and uninstall these two files (this will put
your pc back to wmp10). http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=16737
Related topic is further explained on this page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#DevicenotrecognizedafterinstallingWindowsMediaPlay
3. Download the following files from the website and save them to a
You may have to select your own Product > Choose your Specific Model>
then Double Click.
Down below; please ensure that your Operating System selected is Windows XP.
Driver : Creative Zen and Jukebox Driver Upgrade version 1.30.03
Firmware: Creative Zen Touch PlaysForSure Firmware 2.11.01
You may want to click the Show Details button on the right side for
4. Re-install the Zen Driver and reboot the PC and then connect the
5. Make sure the firmware update is ready,
Run the program but don't click the language bit yet), leave the mouse
hovering over your language selection.
6. On the Zen - select the option "reload OS"
7. As soon as it flashes up "reload new firmware now via USB" click the
language button on the firmware.
8. Now PC should find it and allow you to re-load the firmware. (it may
take a few attempts)
9. Once complete, click close and restart the pc. Everything should now
10. If installation is successful, you can re-install your WMP11 and
everything should be okay this time.
Posted on Oct 19, 2008
SOURCE: Firmware Update problem.(Failed)
Firmware Update problem.(Failed)
hi i have Creative Zen 4GB Mp3 player.
When i plug it via USB on my PC i can't upgrade frimware.İt always run in recovery mode.i start firmware upgrade and installer says "firmware upgrade failed.".Media explorer says Storage Media is 50 mb.Please help i don't know anything to repair it...
Posted on Mar 30, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 05, 2010 | Creative Labs Zen Touch MP3 Player
Jan 02, 2009 | Creative Labs Zen Touch MP3 Player
Apr 26, 2008 | Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra MP3...
Apr 02, 2008 | Creative Labs Zen Touch MP3 Player
Mar 31, 2008 | Creative Labs Zen Touch MP3 Player
Mar 25, 2008 | Creative Labs Zen Vision Digital Media...
Nov 30, 2007 | Creative Labs Zen Touch MP3 Player
3,666 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Level 2 Expert
Level 3 Expert
Level 3 Expert