I bought this heater at the beginning of winter. We have used it in our basement regularly. I went to turn it on the other night and nothing happened. The elements didn't heat up, the fan didn't come on. Its just dead. The power light comes on. I have no idea what to do. I threw away the box and can't find the information/direction guides. I no longer have the receipt any more either. I'm frustrated because it should of lasted longer than this. Any suggestions?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert that has over 500 points.
Re: power light comes on but it doesn't run
You need to trace the path of electricity. With it unplugged, remove the cover and look at the wiring from the power light on, Its possible that a wire burnt off, you will be able to see it easily if so. If its an internal short, like inside the thermostat or power switch, then you need a meter to accurately find the problem, or change parts and hope to get lucky.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Normally, the air temp in a basement doesn't change more than 10 degrees throughout the year (Unless, you live in an extremely cold environment). If your just trying to knock the chill off during the winter and keep pipes from freezing 55 degrees is adequate.
I grew up working for my electrical contractor father and we had kerosene heaters such as you have. Another thing, these units must burn kerosene, do NOT use diesel fuel or any other fuel in these heaters, it will not burn cleanly and some fuels might explode. We always used these heaters in a building in winter that was being constructed. By this I mean that there was always plenty of ventilation. We ALWAYS had enough air movement through the buildings to prevent CO poisoning. This is why I will advise you NOT to use this style of heater without there being a way for the fumes to exhaust out of the building. CO (carbon monoxide) bonds faster with your hemoglobin than oxygen does and you can DIE from this. CO poisoning takes months to get out of your system.
So, with a sealed building, I would say NO do NOT use this in your basement.
Are the ignitors intact? In other words, does the element make a loop back to the ceramic portion. The purpose of the LED is to notify the user of a defective ignitor. The other possibility is a bad control board.
If the ignitor is intact, but no power coming from the board (ignitor only glows for 5 seconds), then the board is bad or the fuse is blown. You might want to test the photocell while you are at it.
You will need to locate the correct model numbers to order the correct parts. "170T" & "125T" are only part of the correct model designation.
Question, is there any other equipment that uses propane? You indicate that the problem started after a delivery of propane after running out. If so, I suspect a blockage in either the gas train or the rinnai itself. If tou have the temperature control that regulates the water temperature, you can recall error codes to pinpoint the issue. They are optional equipment so if you can wire one in or ask your propane gas supplier if their service department has one, it will aide in the diagnosis.