Question about Dell Inspiron 2200 Notebook

1 Answer

DEAD DELL I got a dell and the switch where your power suppy plugs in was loose I could smell it burning one day and it melted . Now got a new stwitch and added it to mother board and after trying to charge battery over nite still nothing.. Any ideas for next problem?? It didn't appear that anything on mother board was damaged. Could I need new battery ?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 94 Answers

Replace the DC Jack, the battery will may charge if it doesn't get power from Positive and Negative. On that particular model it is usually the positve terminal. Insufficicent solder at production time causes a weak joint, repeated plugging in weakens the joint even further until it breaks the connection. If you have not damaged the jack badly, you may be able to get by with a simple 'reflow' of the solder. Use flux paste and add about 1 drop of solder to the terminals. Being careful not to short POS & NEG. (the contact pads are very close- use magnifying glass to verify)

Most likely the burning smell was the solder arcing around a poor solder connection.

I would suggest verifying DC jack before spending good money on a battery, since most LI-ION batteries are good for upto a thousand charges plus...

Posted on Mar 29, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

When I drive my 2005 ford escape I sometimes smell something burning?


Either it is due to heat from engine I.e. burning dripped oil or clutch issues.incorrect use of clutch I.e. Slipping it or resting foot on it will cause the clutch fluid to burn and waft into the car interior.i once had a burning smell issue that was due to a bin liner getting stuck underneath the engine which caused it to melt and emit a terrifying smell that caused a few days of anguish.

May 05, 2015 | 2005 Ford Escape

1 Answer

No power


maybe you have already done this, but remember that many laptops require that you remove the battery for about 30 sec. as well as disconnect the AC power to reset them.
Always try this when everything seems completely dead.

Aug 29, 2012 | Dell Vostro 1000 Notebook

1 Answer

The mains plug for the charger is very very hot so hot that it is melting the plug and also smells of burning can anyone plse help


Take the charger and put it on a hard, non-insulating surface like a counter top. Un-coil it if it is wrapped up at all. It simply overheated and can be avoided by not bunching up the cord or wrapping it around itself. Put a bag of ice or damp both on the parts that are melting (be sure that it is not plugged into the computer)

Jul 07, 2011 | Dell Latitude D600 Notebook

2 Answers

Dell studio 1535 not charging


Without testing the complete power circuit there is no way to know what needs replaced. the motherboard will most likely cost as much as a new laptop though. They are like the LCD screens. You can buy a new laptop for 4450 now days but to replace a motherboard or LCD screen you'll pay $500 to $700 not counting labor.

Jul 26, 2010 | Dell Studio 1535 Notebook

1 Answer

Smell something burning inside Dell desktop tower.


Is the computer under warranty? If so, take it back.

Otherwise, open it up and follow your nose - find out what burned inside it and try replacing that.

Mar 09, 2010 | Dell Dimension E510 PC Desktop

1 Answer

Dell computer was working and i turned it on next day and it was dead no lights or noyhing


If your computer is under warranty, I'd suggest you contact either the Vendor where you bought it, or the Dell support site. Either should be able to acquire a new power supply and install it for you free of charge (if under warranty).

Some other thoughts though, before you do that. If there are no indicators that your power supply has died (smell burnt electronics, any weird buzzing sound prior to the computer not working, etceteras), then you might want to check the connections to the wall socket, the connection to the PSU itself, and even test the circuit breaker for your socket (some wall sockets have test / reset buttons that cut the power during surges).

-Jon

Sep 26, 2009 | Dell POWER SUPPLY Power Supply

2 Answers

Dell dimension starts up then shuts down


power supply shot
can get power supply from microcenter
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0293459

or take your out REMEMBER where plugs go and buy a new one cheap

Jun 01, 2009 | Dell Dimension 3000 PC Desktop

1 Answer

No power


IT is most likely the Bad Refirb Motherboard or it can be the Power Supply. if the power supply turns on. than it is the Motherboard. if it doesn't than it is the Power Supply. Make sure you connect the power switch to the motherboard. the newer motherboards are more switches than the old Motherboards!

Hope that helps.

Dec 25, 2007 | Dell Dimension 4500 PC Desktop

1 Answer

Burned pins on psu


the reason for the melting could be down to one or the other, i would deffinately change the motherboard as it may be the reason for the melting and just keep an eye on the PSU

Sep 25, 2007 | Dell Dimension 8400 PC Desktop

6 Answers

Notebook smells like burning plastic.


If the new Targus charger is really rated correctly for your laptop, your battery isn?t charging and you smell the burning plastic coming from the laptop when you plug it in that is a fairly dangerous situation and you shouldn?t plug it back in anymore. The power from the charger runs through a PCB board which distributes power to other components in your laptop. I suspect one of the components (probably a capacitor) had a catastrophic failure and is the cause of the smell and the lack of battery charging. Once again assuming that the Targus is the correct one for your laptop current you probably have a laptop damaged beyond home or economical repair.

Dec 02, 2006 | Compaq Presario 700 470024-192 Notebook

Not finding what you are looking for?
Dell Inspiron 2200 Notebook Logo

173 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Dell Computers & Internet Experts

Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan

Level 3 Expert

27725 Answers

Les Dickinson
Les Dickinson

Level 3 Expert

18375 Answers

mukhtar21 shaikh
mukhtar21 shaikh

Level 3 Expert

2017 Answers

Are you a Dell Computer and Internet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...